The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

'Paste in Place' function. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Graffle Users and Experts,

I was wondering if graffle had the 'Paste in Place' function like illustrator. e.g. when you copy an object, it remembers the coordinates and places the clipboard item 'in place'.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takaaki
I was wondering if graffle had the 'Paste in Place' function like illustrator. e.g. when you copy an object, it remembers the coordinates and places the clipboard item 'in place'.
copy-and-paste on the same canvas translates the copy by one right arrow + one down arrow; that's very convenient if one wishes to align the copy, all there is to do is cancel the right/down displacement by pressing the left/up arrow. Good gameplay :)

copy-and-paste on an existing new canvas is done 'in place' like you said.

Perhaps i should add i am using the pro version (don't know that makes a difference though).

cheers
Vincent

If you paste on a new layer, it will appear in place. It is only shifted if you paste on the same layer as the original object.

Pasting an object with the same coordinates as the original copied object is not entirely intuitive or consistent. Usually this only works when the mouse is outside of the bounds of the canvas area - though there are times when this isn't the case and times when the mouse is in the canvas area and the paste is "in place". Otherwise the paste seems to be centered around the current mouse position.

Try the following: Copy an object, then create a new canvas using the + in the utility drawer and give it a name. Now paste, you hear a beep as the canvas lost focus. Click on the canvas and paste, and it's not pasted in place (doesn't matter where the mouse is after that click). Create another new canvas using the Gear menu -> New Canvas. Paste. That's pasted in place. Very inconsistent and confusing behavior.

The built in help and the manual do not cover pasting very well. From the help:

"Place the contents of the clipboard on the canvas, at the last place you clicked with the Selection tool. (or insert text from the clipboard if you are editing an object's text). If there is an image or some text in the clipboard, a new shape object containing the image or text is created."

IMHO there should be a separate "Paste In Place" menu item that will always paste the object using the exact coordinates of the original, even if it's in the same layer and this would go a long way to eliminating this inconsistent behavior.

Using OmniGraffle Pro 4 (42b2)

This MAJOR problem still seems to exist in 4.2 (v129.12). I just bought OG Pro for wireframing yesterday and the quirky paste behavior is already driving me nuts. I hope I've missed something. The only way I've found to get consistent "Paste in Place" behavior is to select, copy, unselect, select again, copy again... then paste.

UPDATE: I had a brief email exchange with one of the omni folks yesterday. It sounds like an improvement to Copy/Paste is probably on the feature list for OGP v 5.0.

Last edited by fjldude; 2007-08-03 at 04:07 PM..