The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

how to deal with shopping lists Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How do you use OF for shoopping lists? Do you set up a Project AND a Category?

For me that is not a project, as it is a single task "go shopping". However, as a result all shopping-list items show up under project-view as single actions. And the is not very helpful and does not make sense.

Shopping-list-items should not be single "actions", they are part of an action, I think

I tend to keep my shopping list in a separate app on my iPod touch.

However, here is an article about OmniFocus and grocery shopping.

http://www.asianefficiency.com/task-...for-groceries/

I'm handling this partly with perspectives right now, though that may end up being too much maintenance for me.

For example, for groceries, I have a project "Perpetual Grocery List". It contains items for grocery items that I usually buy. My main day-to-day perspectives exclude it, so that I don't see those items when I do all of the other things that I do. Then I have a perspective "Grocery List Edit" that excludes everything but the grocery list and shows all of its items, checked and unchecked, so that I can uncheck the ones I need. I have another one, "Grocery List Shop" that shows only the unchecked items.

For some other lists, I create a project and either put it on hold or give it a default context that's an On Hold context, so that I don't have to fuss with perspectives to make those items disappear. For example, I might create a list like this for ordering garden seeds, and also add active actions to remind me to work on the list or order from it. The same for books to look for at the library, perfumes to sniff, topics to blog about, things like that.

I typically use Wunderlist for groceries, so I can share the same list with my sweetie.

We typically suggest people manage these in the Errands context as an action tied to the "Miscellaneous" project (which we suggest changing to the name "---" instead.) Simply create an action for common stores you visit and use the note field to capture what you need, and delete the notes when you buy it. Or, you may find you just list them as individual action items on the Errands list, not tied to a store or in the notes field.

If it's a quick errand that I'm about to do, like go pick up some groceries, I often just grab a quick index card from my stack on my desk and write a list out. Easy.

No right or wrong way really from a GTD perspective, except trying to keep it in your head!