The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I SHARE the project file with others? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My boss is INTRIGUED with OmniPlan now that I've put his master list of projects in a Gantt Chart and shown him how the milestones stack up and collide.

BUT, I'm not clear on how the OP project file can be SHARED between the two of us to tweak the plan with updates, edits, etc.

I'm sure there's a workaround, but I think it'd be a deal breaker NOT to be abl to have "multiple authors" managing the project plan.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enentrup View Post
My boss is INTRIGUED with OmniPlan now that I've put his master list of projects in a Gantt Chart and shown him how the milestones stack up and collide.

BUT, I'm not clear on how the OP project file can be SHARED between the two of us to tweak the plan with updates, edits, etc.

I'm sure there's a workaround, but I think it'd be a deal breaker NOT to be abl to have "multiple authors" managing the project plan.

Thoughts?
The best way right now is to either email the file back and forth or to store it on a server you both have access to. We don't have any multi-user collaboration features in OmniPlan at this time, so there isn't a way to really track who changed what within the project plan. We are definitely planning to get this into a later version of OmniPlan though, but I don't have any solid ETA at this point.

I'd like to add my vote for fast-track development of multiple user interface, possibly via web access. We're looking for project management software for a mixed Mac/PC design environment, and a server-based system where each designer can manage his/her own time in the system is ideal.

Last edited by asergi; 2007-08-17 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: I can't see my reply in the forum!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asergi View Post
I'd like to add my vote for fast-track development of multiple user interface, possibly via web access. We're looking for project management software for a mixed Mac/PC design environment, and a server-based system where each designer can manage his/her own time in the system is ideal.
I'll add a vote and your comments to our database. Thanks asergi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asergi View Post
Add my vote, too! BTW, Was "fast-track" a Freudian slip? he-he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinographica View Post
Add my vote, too! BTW, Was "fast-track" a Freudian slip? he-he.
Vote added rhinographica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
The best way right now is to either email the file back and forth or to store it on a server you both have access to. We don't have any multi-user collaboration features in OmniPlan at this time, so there isn't a way to really track who changed what within the project plan. We are definitely planning to get this into a later version of OmniPlan though, but I don't have any solid ETA at this point.
I 8th that motion! I'm an IT exec who has chosen to leave the dark side of the force, so I need OmniPlan to offer equal or better features than the de facto PC project management apps offer. This is one such feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technosapian View Post
I 8th that motion! I'm an IT exec who has chosen to leave the dark side of the force, so I need OmniPlan to offer equal or better features than the de facto PC project management apps offer. This is one such feature.
Vote added for you technosapian. :-)

I also would like to vote for this !
Just a simple use of WebDAV to store the project would be a nice feature (this is the solution used by GanttProject).
Another very nice collaborative feature would be some kind of "standard" XML format for projects. I have absolutely no idea if such a thing exist (? MS Project XML ??), but that would be great to be able to share a project with other clients.
I do manage projects with students (I'm a teacher), and most of them are not using MacOS. So... can't use OmniPlan when working with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBenoist View Post
some kind of "standard" XML format for projects.
The de facto standard for this is the (very) old Microsoft Project Exchange format (MPX). It isn't XML and it has its limitations, but pretty much every project management application out there can import and export it, including OmniPlan.