The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Import CSV Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I need to be able to import large numbers of actions from Excel spreadsheets on a regular basis. From what I've been able to discern, while OmniFocus can export to CSV, it can't import from CSV. Will this feature be added? Is there a workaround for the time being?

If you have Omnioutliner you could always paste from excel into an Oo file and export from there. A normal table cut and paste works fine, and you can have templates in Oo to get columns formatted correctly. Not ideal, but better than retyping. Good luck, anyway!

I don't have OmniOutliner and would prefer not to buy another application just to import CSV files. Thanks for the reply.

Can you show an example of one of these .CSV files, and what portions of them you are trying to import? If you are just trying to grab the contents of a single column, you can do it right now with copy and paste directly from the spreadsheet.

Ideally I'd like to grab two columns, though I could try to combine the two columns prior to import if needed.

Basically, the minimal amount of data I need to import from the spreadsheet are computer hardware test names. There are anywhere from 25 to 100 tests, depending on the hardware being tested. All the test names appear in the same column of the spreadsheet. The test names will be organized under an action group within a larger project.

Here's a simplified example of a project (data from spreadsheet is found under "Test steps" action group):

Test x hardware
Complete design details
Test steps
Test 1
Test 2