The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Template/Master (in a general sense) questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
1. I want to create modules that are shared, but not necessarily in every canvas. (shared layers do the former, but not the latter). Is there any way?

2. I also want to create (background) modules that have repeating, but separately editable modules (not shared). Eg: I want a placeholder page title in every canvas, that I then edit to the appropriate one. So I created a Omnigraffle template and applied it to a new document.

I see that the layer is shown in the first (default) canvas, but not when I create a new canvas (Note: This can't be a shared layer, because each page has its own title)

-Vishal

You don't have to have shared layers on every canvas, so that should satisfy your first issue if I understand correctly.

As for using templates and making new canvases with pre-populated content, you might want to duplicate the existing canvas, or even possibly just drag desired layers to the new canvas, they will duplicate in that process.

Hope that helps,

'You don't have to have shared layers on every canvas'- Okie. But if I create a shared layer, it will appear in every canvas by default, I then have to delete it. Right?

Also, is there a way to convert a regular layer to a standard one & vice versa, without having to create a new one an copying the contents?

'As for using templates and making new canvases with pre-populated content...'- Yes, I realized that. Its a mental model thing, but why should layers (of a template) be shared to appear in every canvas.

If you have only one canvas and add a shared layer, then new canvases will have that shared layer.

However, if you have lots of canvases already, and add a shared layer it will only be added to that particular canvas.

No way to convert a regular layer to a shared one, however we do have a feature request for this already filed.

Jeol, thank you for explaining this. This is exactly what I was looking for. I know the thread is old, but it still proved useful.