The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Auto-sync only one-way? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it true that "auto-sync" only reliably works from iPhone -----> Cloud?

I have seen a lot of documentation about how iPhone autosyncs to the cloud at pretty regular intervals; and, in fact, I rarely get errors.

However, the reverse is not true. I regularly get errors on the Desktop side.

I was told in an email by an OmniGroup technician this morning:
"if there are changes from the phone, you'll be asked to re-open the database on your desktop the next time it does a sync"
What's weird is that that isn't always the case.

Another OmniGroup technician told me:
"if there are changes on the server that are more recent than the last change you made on the machine you're working with, we need to close and re-open your database to show them."
That isn't quite true, either. (Well, OK, I guess it's pretty much the same statement. D'oh!)

Anyway, so far my testing has mostly been inconclusive.

What seems to be happening is this:

If you make a change on the iPhone AND enough time has passed that when you next open OF on the desktop, providing the next hourly sync is overdue for execution, OF will attempt that sync, see that the Cloud version is more recent, and then give you the message "if there are changes on the server that are more recent than the last change you made on the machine you're working with, we need to close and re-open your database to show them."

Since OF on the Desktop doesn't automatically sync on open (I wish it did), you don't always get that message. You only get it if a LOT of time has passed while you were working with OF on your iPhone.

If not very much time has passed, you can force the sync with Ctrl-Command-S, and oddly enough, you DON'T get the above warning.

Anyway, it's all very confusing.

I'm only concerned because I'm now using OF about 2-3 hours a day, thanks to the iPhone app being so awesome, and even though it's mostly going famously, I'd like it to be even smoother.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.4, OF Desktop 1.1 Rev 102796, iPhone "2G" OF

Last edited by santra; 2008-07-15 at 06:49 AM..