The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

C'mon!!! [Request for document sync & file management; both being worked on.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Warning: what follows is a rant (well deserved mind)!

I've only recently joined the ipad scene, but used an iphone for the last 4 years.

The new ipad has helped me move most of my work onto the ipad, and omnioutliner on the mac has been a long favourite on my mac. I am a public speaker/teacher and the ipad is superb for this. However, I've hit a few glitches in terms of information management.

I purchased omnioutliner for the mac without thinking and am really beginning to regret the decision. I have no quibbles with its functionality in terms of getting my text into a document. and styling it. Omnioutliner documents are really great to teach from. Everything else however infuriates me.

1. No sync to any popular dropbox, sugarsync, etc. When you've got apps like readdledocs and goodreader that sync to over ten, why on earth can't omni get their app to sync to even one! It beggars belief!

What use is an app if you cannot get your data out or in using popular applications that the majority of other apps sync to? Most text editors on the ipad sync with dropbox. why can't omnioutliner?

2. Document manager. I have some 160 (about 7mb) .oo3 documents. I have a 64GB ipad. I finally connected my dropbox via dropdav to use omni's webdav. However, I do not want 160 documents in a grid form. I want folders. Where are they? do I really have to put up with all my documents in one folder?!

I am now having to rethink my whole strategy. I'm not going to pay for dropbox, dropdav just to use omni. I'm now looking at markdown editors. Such a shame as I really likes omnioutliner. Perhaps in the future, although don't hold your breath as we're into the 3rd gen ipad and these problems are ones you would expect with the first gen. How I wish developers would actually use their products on the devices they design them for because they would rapidly realise the failing without having to infuriate customers.

rant over.

I don't think there's any doubt that the sync debacle isn't The Omni Group's finest hour. I know that sync, particularly with document-based applications, is quite a hard problem. But TOG are ludicrously behind with OO, particularly considering how mature an app it is.

I imagine it's losing some custom. I'm in the position of having bought the iPad version, which I think is excellent in its own right, but I wanted to do most of my input and outline design at the desktop. However, I've been dragging my heels buying a mac license because of the sync issue. I've been trying to find a practical workflow for sharing between iPad and macbook, to the point where I requested (and obtained) an evaluation license extension. But it's not been a very successful experiment, and it has taken up far too much of my time. Now I'm looking for alternatives to OO for my projects. Shame -- in all other respects, I find OO about perfect for my needs, but 20th century sharing abilities are just impractical in the post-PC era.