The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backup vs. Sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a Mac at work and a Mac at home. (both are desktops. I don't have a laptop or iPhone.) I want to be able to access my OF database at both places.

I like OF, but it seems strange that unlike most other apps, you can't save an OF database with a filename using "Save As...". I'm sure there is probably a good reason for this but I don't know what it is.

Given the fact that syncing seems to be problematic (so much so that it requires its own forum) I wonder, is there any downside to just doing a File > Backup database on one machine, putting it on an external drive, and then on the other computer doing a File > Revert to Database Backup and choosing the copy on the external drive? That seems like the easiest way to keep things in sync.

The only problem is that when I do this I get a weird unhelpful error message, and the Perspectives I created don't seem to come across (I suppose they aren't part of the database). But the data seems to transfer properly from one machine to the other. But I only have done this a couple times and because of the error message I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it.

Thanks for any insights...

Last edited by rladd; 2009-01-31 at 12:08 PM..

I'm using the syncing between two desktops and the iPhone. I'm constantly amazed at how well it works. It just happens in the background. The only thing I need to do is to keep the computer running and OF application open. I'm using the sync to mobile me.

That said, what you are describing is a way to sync and at one point I did the same thing you are speaking of. It's a huge hassle but it can work.

What I did was:
get a USB thumb drive
drag the OF file from your user>library>application support>omnifocus folder.
(should be the file called OmniFocus)
to your USB keychain.

Whenever you want to open the omnifocus file, don't open the omnifocus application. Double click on the OmniFocus file on the USB drive and that file will open in OmniFocus.

thanks... if I get a mobile me account I'll try your way.

Rather than do the steps manually, I'd recommend getting a USB drive and telling both copies of OmniFocus to sync using the "disk" option, designating the USB drive as the sync location.

Excellent suggestion. That option wasn't available to me when I was syncing with the USB drive. Sounds like a perfect solution. I used to have the problem of opening the OmniFocus application, which by default opens the default file, causing my data to get a bit messed up. The sync to disk option would have taken care of that.