The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

network syncing as new iphone sync alternative? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Enabled Local-network syncing as a new sync type. This won't work with OmniFocus for iPhone until the next version (v1.1) is released. But, you can test this on your local network between multiple Macs to help ensure that any bugs get found sooner rather than later.
I'm not sure if I get this, but does this mean when 1.1 goes live we'll be able to sync iphone and mac omnifocus without the need for mobileme or WebDAV?

That's how I read it. The Sync Pref Pane in OF desktop says:

"OmniFocus v1.1 for iPhone can sync with MobileMe, Bonjour, or WebDAV."

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post
I'm not sure if I get this, but does this mean when 1.1 goes live we'll be able to sync iphone and mac omnifocus without the need for mobileme or WebDAV?
Yes, but you'll be restricted to doing it "locally" -- you won't be able to sync when your computer is at home and you're out running errands or sales calls, for example.

That's just what I was hoping, thanks for the confirmation. Science be praised!

Yes, curt.clifton and whpalmer4 are basically correct. The only detail I would add is that not only do the iPhone and Mac need to be "local" in a geographic sense, they need to be "local" in a networking sense. For most people, this means they need to be connected to the same WiFi base station, or you need to turn on Internet Sharing on your Mac and connect to it from your iPhone.

(There are some more complicated configurations that could work, but that's the sort of thing to ask a networking guru about, not Omni.)

I"m thinking this would work the same way that " things " wi-fi sync works , create a temporary local network on the mac , change the wi-fi on the iPhone to the temp network and it syncs as soon as you open the program.
It's much faster than mobile me syncing , but more of a hassle .
Plus the sync is only local and not in the " cloud " .

but since OF is the only thing I use Mobile me for , I'll gladly put up with the wi-fi hassle than pay apple 100 bucks a year .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
I"m thinking this would work the same way that " things " wi-fi sync works , create a temporary local network on the mac , change the wi-fi on the iPhone to the temp network and it syncs as soon as you open the program.
It's much faster than mobile me syncing , but more of a hassle .
Plus the sync is only local and not in the " cloud " .

but since OF is the only thing I use Mobile me for , I'll gladly put up with the wi-fi hassle than pay apple 100 bucks a year .
I have Air Sharing and iSilo which also work like this. They create a webdav server (I think) on the iPhone which the mac can connect to either as you describe above or over the network if the iPhone and Mac are both on the same subnet.

Michael

I hope you all will excuse some shameless self-promotion.

I had this same problem, so I set up my own WebDAV server. Problem was it wasn't secured (SSL), so I added that... and that drove the cost up for just myself to more than MobileMe... so I thought why not sell space there and even out my costs. :)

Yes, it'll be a pay service. But, it'll be a lot cheaper than MobileMe. At least, that's the plan. I need some beta testers to size out how much server it'll take to support a given number of users.

If you're interested, check out the site, Get syncin', there's a survey form linked from the front page, I'll use that to start inviting some folks when I'm closer to ready.

Is this going to be an all or nothing situation - if you use Wi-Fi you won't be able to synch using 3G/non-local Wi-FI while out and about? Or will you be able to do both?

The short answer is yes, you need to pick one and stick with it.
The longer answer is that technically you can switch at any time, but any time you change syncing methods, you'd probably want to sync all your machines, then switch it over on each machine and sync them all again.

One of the main purposes of the local Bonjour sync is to save people from paying for a WebDAV service if they don't need to. If you're already paying for MobileMe or something similar, there may not be much reason to switch to Bonjour syncing. There are only a couple technical advantages to local syncing: (1) It's probably a little faster on average. (2) Your data is not up on some third-party server, which may make you sleep better at night.