The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to handle uncompleted tasks in recurring projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Good morning everyone,

I have a couple of recurring projects that are set to recur daily. Some days I’m just too lazy to do certain daily tasks because I just wasn’t able to do them.
I’m always tempted to just hit the delete key for these tasks, but that would mean these tasks are removed from the project the next day. I could drop the project, but then it’s gone too.

I was wondering how you handle this kind of problem? Did anyone find a solution? Something they are happy with? I’d love to hear.

Regards,
Andreas

I'm assuming that you do intend to complete these tasks tomorrow, even though you missed them today. Why not just mark them complete? That way they're out of your view for today, and they will reappear tomorrow.

I don't think it makes sense to floss my teeth twice a day in case I've forgotten. In other words, no, I don't intend to do these tasks the other day. I would like though, to be able to look back at older projects and see if or where I've forgotten.

Last edited by Zettt; 2012-12-07 at 02:31 AM..

For a repeating action that I want a record of when it was actually done, I put the repeat on the individual item rather than the whole project. For instance, exercise is due at 9pm, repeats 1 day after completion. If I didn't work out yesterday, it hits the overdue list; based on how far past the due date is I can see how long I've been slacking. I can check the complete items for a log, although I do tend to clean out the old ones after a few months.

It might take longer to set up initially, since there's a lot more repeat items to change, but it sounds like it would fit your needs.

catrijn, it does indeed. Thanks. I forgot that you can also set a repeat on single items rather than projects. I tinkered with it and think that's what I've been looking for.