The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Space bar shortcut not working properly... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello.
If I select a lot of tasks, even within task groups, and press the space bar, they all get checked-off (as expected).

But if I then try to reverse the procedure and press the space bar again, ONLY tasks outside of task groups get unchecked. If I want to uncheck the tasks inside the task groups, I must select them and press the shortcut again... boring.

Also, if I check a parent task by clicking on its checkbox, its children get checked, as expected. But the opposite is not true either...

This is a little frustrating because I just finished setting up a few check lists and checking/unchecking tasks like this becomes tedious after a while.

Is this behavior on purpose or should I report this "inconsistency" to the Ninjas?

I believe that the space bar not un-checking items inside a group is a bug - I'll go ahead and file that. Thanks!

In the meantime, you may want to use "Undo" in those situations. Especially once repeating tasks come into play, there are benefits to using Undo that you don't get when you check something and then un-check it manually.

Completing a group does imply that all the items inside have been completed, but the reverse is not necessarily true. (The steps in the database are all done, but you may want to review the group/project and ensure that there wasn't something you missed.)

I would discourage "toggling" in this fashion — the Undo command or keyboard shortcut truly undoes the completion, whereas unchecking by pressing the space bar again does not undo any side effects, such as the creation of the next copy of a repeating action. It doesn't matter, except when it does :-)

Hello, Brian and whPalmer.

I discovered this inconsistency when experimenting with my checklists.

Since I don't want to clutter the database with the same repeating tasks (which some are long routine maintenance tasks in the form of a list), I figured I'd just make a project for each checklist and put it on hold (non-repeating). Then, I just use a single task reminder with a link to the checklist to do the stuff in there.

I tried doing the lists in OmniPlan, but I didn't like it too much for this. I know the best tool for this would be to use OmniOutliner, but I need to watch my expenses because I need to upgrade my studio computers.

So, in the mean time, doing the checklists in OF works fine, except for that little shortcut inconsistency (once the list is all done, it would be nice to just select all and uncheck everything with the space bar once, so it's empty and ready for next time).

Brian: thank you for filing the bug with the Ninjas.

whPalmer4: You are correct, and I understand your reasons to discourage toggling like this. I discovered the potential problems you mentioned during my tests. But as far as I can tell, they are easily avoided by simply not repeating these tasks (checklists) in anyway, and only use a single repeating reminder task with a link to it whenever it needs to be done.

I admit OO looks sweeter by the hour :>)

Last edited by FMiguélez; 2011-07-17 at 07:59 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMiguélez View Post
So, in the mean time, doing the checklists in OF works fine, except for that little shortcut inconsistency (once the list is all done, it would be nice to just select all and uncheck everything with the space bar once, so it's empty and ready for next time).
You can select all the actions and right-click, then uncheck Complete in the pop-up menu. If you don't have the groups themselves marked as completed (in this particular scenario of a fixed checklist, I would have the auto-complete option turned on), then the first time it will simply mark everything as completed, and the second time everything will be marked incomplete. If the groups are complete as well as the actions, then only one pass is required.

Quote:
whPalmer4: You are correct, and I understand your reasons to discourage toggling like this. I discovered the potential problems you mentioned during my tests. But as far as I can tell, they are easily avoided by simply not repeating these tasks (checklists) in anyway, and only use a single repeating reminder task with a link to it whenever it needs to be done.
Yes, I agree that in this particular case the distinction doesn't really matter. However, in other cases it does, and in the spirit of GTD, adopting the procedure which always works saves you from having to remember to check whether or not you're in a situation where you can safely toggle with the space bar.