The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Making an outline from unstructured text??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Given a text document with a loosely implied hierarchical structure, what is the most efficient way to turn it into a formal outline in OmniOutliner?

For a simple example, here is some text:
-------
Main Title
Some explanatory introductory comments.
Head 1
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Head 2
Yada yada yada yada. Yada yada yada yada. Yada yada yada yada yada yada. Yada yada yada yada yada yada. Yada yada yada yada yada yada. Yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada.
-------
What I want to do is
1. select "Main Title"
2. Click a command that makes "Main Title" a new line in the outline with the rest of text in the body.
3. Then select "Head 1"
2. Click a command that makes "Head 1" a new line in the outline with the rest of the text in its body.
5. Finally select "Head 2"
6. Click a command that that makes "Head 2" a new line in the outline with the rest of the text in its body.
Done. A 3 line outline created in six simple steps.

But as far as I can tell what I have to do is this:
1. Copy the text "Main Title"
2. Create a new line
3. Paste "Main Title" into the new line
4. Copy the body text: "Some explanatory introductory comments."
5. Open the body for the new line.
6. Paste in the text.
7. Copy the text "Head 1"
8. Create a new line
9. Paste "Head 1" into the new line
10. Copy the body: "... blah blah blah ..."
11. Open the body for the new line.
12. Paste in the text.
13. Copy the text "Head 2"
14. Create a new line
15. Paste "Head 2" into the new line
16. Copy the body: "... yada yada yada ..."
17. Open the body for the new line.
18. Paste in the text.
Done. The same 3 line outline but it took 18 steps!

What am I missing?
I cannot believe that OmniOutliner is so inefficient that requires me to do three times as much work as I need to do!!!
(Clearly, my example above is just a simple 3 line outline. The real text file I want to convert has dozens of lines each with accompanying body text.)