The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating tasks - removing from Today Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have set up a perspective where it only shows flagged tasks or things that are Due. However, I do have a Daily Rituals folder with a repeating task. If I click it as done in the Daily Rituals folder, it puts a line through it but creates a duplicate. When I go to my Today perspective, it shows this task in there.

Why?

The task is not flagged and its due tomorrow, not today.

Thanks,

Jon

The setting you are using shows either flagged or due tasks. This means things you mark (flag) as important to complete or thing which have a due date will all show up in your perspective as needing to be completed. Once marking a repeating task with a due date complete, the recreation of your task also has a due date so it will show up in you "Today" perspective immediately. There is no filter to limit the due tasks to just today. If you want the task to not show up in this perspective until the day it is due add a start date to the task as well. Usually I set a start date for daily tasks to be around 2-4am so late night work doesn't see multiple tasks appear at midnight. I suspect adding a start date will resolve this issue for you.

Under my Today perspective, it shows under Status: Due or Flagged. Surely that means Due today, rather than anything with a Due date?

Otherwise, how do you deal with repeating tasks?

If I set a start date for 4am, does this mean it won't show up? Do I have to do this every day or just once?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post
Under my Today perspective, it shows under Status: Due or Flagged. Surely that means Due today, rather than anything with a Due date?

If I set a start date for 4am, does this mean it won't show up? Do I have to do this every day or just once?
The "Due" is related to what your due soon setting is in the OmniFocus preferences. The repeating task for the next day is showing up because it is considered due soon. If it was due a week, month, or year out which is considered not due soon by OF's default preferences then it would not show up under your status setting. Adding a start date to a daily repeating task resolves the task prematurely showing up in lists.

Yes, this start date will be carried and adjusted along with the due date of a repeating task. So you only need to set the start/due dates, the task variable, and the repeat frequency variables once and they will be automatically added to every future created tasks.

Edit:
And yes. The task would show up only at 4AM on the date it is set to start (unless you set the start day after the due date by accident).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post

I'm pretty sure that "Due" means that the item has a due date.
"Due Soon" means the items has a due date that meets the criteria for "Due Soon" that you have set in the preferences.

I just tested it. Due or Flagged gives all items that are due or have a flag (subject to the whatever availability filter you have selected). Due Soon gives you items that meet the due soon criteria from preferences.

Are there other items in the Daily Rituals project that you want to show? Or would you prefer to just exclude them?

You may already know how to do this. If so, apologies in advance, but if you'd like to just exclude the ritual items, go to project mode, select the folders/projects that you want included in the perspective, then hit focus. This will filter out the daily rituals project/folder. Switch to context mode. Actuate the filters that you want. Save the perspective again.

From then on, when you select this perspective, it will not include the daily rituals.

Otherwise, if you want daily rituals tasks in this view, do as Dale says. Adjust the start date

So if you have it set up to repeat every day, set your start date for a time like 3:30am, then set your due date for the time of day that you want the thing done by.

In the dialog box, you'll say that at the bottom is will say "Next Start:"

The repeat is every day, then the next start date will be 24 hours from the last one, and the next due date will be 24 hours from the due date you set.

Conversely, if you said repeat every 5 minutes, then the next start date would be 5 minutes after the start date you set, and the next due date would be 5 minutes after the due date you set.

At least that's how it seems to be working for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
I'm pretty sure that "Due" means that the item has a due date.
"Due Soon" means the items has a due date that meets the criteria for "Due Soon" that you have set in the preferences.

I just tested it. Due or Flagged gives all items that are due or have a flag (subject to the whatever availability filter you have selected). Due Soon gives you items that meet the due soon criteria from preferences.
I am interested in the method of your testing. You say the result obtained with the Due or Flagged setting was that all items with a due date showed up under this setting. Granted flagged items showed up, but I am interested in the items with due dates at the moment. Here is why.

Under the "Projects" view the status filter does not have the option of "Due or Flagged" and this option is only in "Context" view for me. This is also not the Grouping or Sorting filters setting of "Due".

I selected No Context from the sidebar and proceeded to create 15 test tasks as follows for testing the "Due or Flagged" filter.

My view settings were as follows.

Context Filter: Remaining
Grouping: Context
Sorting: Project
Availability Filter: Remaining
Status Filter: Due or Flagged
Estimated Time Filter: Any Duration

My tasks and results were. Current time was today @5:30PM and due soon is set to be 2 days.
  • test due 1 (due today @5pm) — visible & red
  • test due 2 (due today+1 @5pm) — visible & orange
  • test due 3 (due today+2 @5pm) — visible & orange
  • test due 4 (due today+3 @5pm) — not visible
  • test due 5 (due today+4 @5pm) — not visible
  • test flag 1 (flagged) — visible & black
  • test flag 2 (flagged) — visible & black
  • test flag 3 (flagged) — visible & black
  • test flag 4 (flagged) — visible & black
  • test flag 5 (flagged) — visible & black
  • test due & flag 1 (due today @5pm & flagged) — visible & red
  • test due & flag 2 (due today+1 @5pm & flagged) — visible & orange
  • test due & flag 3 (due today+2 @5pm & flagged) — visible & orange
  • test due & flag 4 (due today+3 @5pm & flagged) — visible & black
  • test due & flag 5 (due today+4 @5pm & flagged) — visible & black

Am I missing something, because it appears to me the variable in the "Due or Flagged" setting is in relation to the task being due soon and not just any arbitrary due date. If any of the tasks containing a due date were set to repeat daily (and not have a start date) they would continue to show up under these settings immediately after completing the proceeding task which triggered their creation.

Also worth noting is if I had a weekly repeating task and only wanted to see it on the day it was due, I would need to also assign a start date in order to not have it start showing up under these settings two days out from its due date.

You have tested more thoroughly than I did. I think you are right. I'm not sure why I was getting the results I got. I thought it might have had to do with setting the availability filter set to next action. But I just tried that again and it still behaved the way you have outlined above.

My bad. That's kind of a confusing way of framing things from a UI standpoint. Probably just trying to use less text.

Thank you for your clarification and letting me know your results are similar to mine describe above.

I truly thought I had missed something and your post highlighted my doubts in a possible misunderstanding between the labeling and the results of the "Due and Flagged" filter. The labeling in the UI does suggest any task containing a due date to be listed under the settings I tested. It is curious that the filters only show tasks within the due soon timeframe.

Again, thank you for your response.