The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Creating a self populating weekly schedule/timetable in excel Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
This is a very useful method for all those wishing to automatically produce a weekly schedule in excel by pulling your POJECTS and ACTIONS from your OF database instead of filling out a schedue by hand and constanly crsoss referencing your OF on your iPhone. Its also cheap - free if you have excel. I am an OF for iPhone user on a PC so dont have access to any apple software. However i am struggling to leap the final hurdle.

I have created a weekly schedule in MS Word (and can transfer easily to excel) based on Steven Covey's weekly schedule. Currenlty i just get a hard copy print out and fill in on a weekly/monthly basis. I have a place on the left where i enter the PROJECTS from OF i want to do this week and then in the timetable i fill out the actual ACTIONS. Now, instead of writing my schedule by hand each week, i want to be able to see all my PROJECTS and ACTIONS from OF in the excel worksheet and then just select them in each time slot.

Progress and method so far:
1. downloaded the OF database from my webDAV backup and open it in excel using the 2nd workbook option.
2. sort column BN (/task/task/@idref). This it puts all my ACTIONS in column BC (/task/name) in order.
3. Column AV (/task/@id) shows the code/id for the PROJECT names.

I know excel can create a drop down list by extracting a data set from another spreadsheet using the data validation method but i havent been able to figure out how to select only the ACTIONS from a particular PROJECT. Trust me its more complicated than it sounds. I am not a coder or advance excel user so any tips anyone could offer would be very helpful. Thanks.