The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Losing action when switching to perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a basic perspective to see what's coming up, grouped and sorted by Due Date. I'm trying to now experiment with Start Dates. If I put in a start date on an action (in planning mode), and then switch to my perspective that sorts by due date, the action with the new start date disappears.

If I go back and delete that start date, it shows up again in the perspective. Other parameters are Remaining, Any duration, Any flag state.

I'm sure this is something simple, but can't figure out what's going on....

Maybe your view bar is set to show Available tasks? Tasks with a start date that hasn't arrived yet aren't considered available. Try setting the view bar to show 'remaining' tasks instead.

Thanks... But it is definitely set to "Remaining"
Here's something else I just discovered. I generally am not using contexts. If I now add any context to that action, it DOES not show up in the perspective. If I delete the context, I again cannot see it.

I definitely have "All Contexts" showing in the perspective. So I wonder if perhaps this is a bug?

Last edited by pdadoc; 2008-01-05 at 08:29 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadoc View Post
If I now add any context to that action, it DOES not show up in the perspective. If I delete the context, I again cannot see it.
Sorry - I'm a bit confused here - if the action has a context, it does or does not show up?

You mention having "All Contexts" showing in your view bar, but is are any items selected in the sidebar?

If you've one or more items selected in the sidebar, then we're only showing actions assigned to those contexts. And if the 'no context' item isn't selected, that's why your context-less items aren't showing up.

If the action has a context, it shows up in the perspective (which uses Context mode). If I then go back to Planning mode and change that context to none (ie, remove it), and go back to the saved perspective (which uses that Context mode), the action is gone.

So... if there IS a Start Date with NO context, it doesn't show in the Perspective. If there is NO start date, OR there IS a start date AND a specific context, it shows in the perspective.

As for your second question, All Contexts is in view bar, nothing is selected below that. I did also try selecting "No Contexts" but it still doesn't show. I am not really using contexts, yet everything else shows up when I go to the perspective (with "All Contexts" on the left, but nothing selected below that).

So it seems like with a start date and no context, it's somehow being filtered out.

BTW, what I'm still struggling with is how to basically create a perspective that overall sorts by due dates, but within that, shows start dates in order. If I have an action with a due date in 3 months, but it's an action that requires I start working on it in 1 week, I want that to show as being "due to start" in 1 week. The app Things does this with a simple reminder box you check (with how much in advance to remind), and it then is seen earlier....

Thanks!