The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Allow OmniFocus to Sync to work computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Synchronization will be automatic, but at the same level as Kinkless. For 1.0, we will synchronize with other devices (Palm, phone) by going through iCal. There will be no built-in support for synchronizing computers, but we will include support for storing the database on a thumb drive or remote file server.

We understand your desire to access the information anywhere at anytime. At Omni, we not only develop the application, but we use it and have the same desire. We're trying to make it as painless as possible :)
I tried to share the database between computers by exporting it to a thumbdrive. However, there doesn't seem to be a good way to use the exported file at my office computer.

How does Omnifocus support storing the database on a thumb drive (ie what is the correct procedure?)

The good news is that OF is just a bundle with a bunch of XML files; the bad news is that they are binary, which means tools like SVN cannot properly synchronise them. The Scrivener project has recently provided an option to use plain text XML for synch compatibility, at the expense of speed. I wonder what the performance impact would be in an application that uses so many XML files, and if it would be worth it to have a similar option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rye
How does Omnifocus support storing the database on a thumb drive (ie what is the correct procedure?)
I've been moving the OF file back and forth by just copying it out of ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus, and placing the file into that directory on the other machine. If you keep an alias to that folder somewhere handy, it isn't too hard.

Heh. I finally figured that one on my own. Not for the faint of heart, as they say.

Quote:
Heh. I finally figured that one on my own. Not for the faint of heart, as they say.
That is true, but if you have your backups set to trigger upon close, it isn't drastically dangerous.

Quote:
I tried to share the database between computers by exporting it to a thumbdrive. However, there doesn't seem to be a good way to use the exported file at my office computer.

Here's one approach that has worked for me, and a few other people around here. If you're brave (in a Terminal-using way, not a Focus alpha-using way), you can move your Focus file (the real thing, not a backup archive) to your thumb drive and then just create symlinks to it on each computer.

Machine 1: (where Focus is up-to-date)
0) Insert thumbdrive
1) Quit Focus
2) Browse to [user name]>Library>Application Support>OmniFocus
3) If there's a file ending in ".lock", you didn't do step 1. There should only be one file in this folder.
4) Move the OmniFocus.ofocus file to your thumb drive.
5) Open up a terminal window, and cd to the same folder as in step 2.
6) Create a symlink to the Focus file on your thumb drive.
Code:
ln -s /Volumes/ThumbDrive/OmniFocus.ofocus .
(Note that you'll need to change that path to match the real path to your thumbdrive.)

Machine 2: (which has no Focus data that isn't also on Machine 1)
0) Insert thumbdrive
1) Quit Focus (if ever launched)
2) Make sure that [user name]>Library>Application Support>OmniFocus exists and is empty
3) Repeat steps 5 and 6

This only transfers the data. You may want to do a similar thing for your Focus preferences file as well.

Porting around the files on a thumb drive may be a viable option for now, but if that thumb drive gets lost--ouch!

This is my first post, and I've had the sneaky-peak alpha/pre-beta for a few days now.

I can't say enough how excellent it is. It gets the job done, it has a simple interface, and yet there's power under the hood if you need it. Absolutely wonderful.

I'll cast my vote for .Mac syncing as well, or even just being able to put the data out on the iDisk would work for me.

Thanks, OmniFolks! You guys rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john0720
I use a laptop @ work and a desktop @ home (and sometimes a 2nd laptop). I make extensive use of .Mac sync services to keep the machine as similar as possible. I even keep NetNewsWire sync'd via .Mac.

OmniFocus would be infinitely more useful for me (I've only had it for two days now and I can see how I won't be able to give it up) if I can keep the database sync'd between my various machines.

So, add my vote for .Mac syncing!
My set up is exactly like john0720's and .Mac sync services are vital to me because I'm constantly shuttling back and forth between my iMac and PowerBook. To have that syncing ability would make my life so much easier.

QUESTION TO OMNI STAFF: As a work-around, what I've been doing in the case where an application can't sync between two Macs, I put the actual file in a .Mac folder and can access that file from any Mac that has the application installed and access to .Mac. That way every time I access the file from any Mac it is always updated and there is no syncing necessary.

Is this possible in the current version of OmniFocus? If so, what file would I put upload to my .Mac? If not, can it be?

I just got my invite to OF a couple of days ago and I am very impressed with the clean interface. Nice work so far!!!

I am moving from iGTD which is also a nice app. One of the nicest features it has is .mac syncing. I have two main macs that I use (one for work and one for home). Since my GTD app contains both work and home tasks I frequently switch between the machines.

I have been using iGTD for a few months now and the .mac syncing is flawless. With my limited knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes I can see that there is one sql file that gets updated and merged when accessing between the machines. I can also see that I have a .mac file and local file for offline access in iGTD.

I am sure I can find a way to manually do this but I would like to ask the Omni team if they can look at the iGTD implementation and see if it is something that can be implemented for 1.0 release. This is an extremely important feature for me and I am assuming other users with multiple macs.

Could the OmniFocus.ofocus file be placed under version control and manually synced that way?

I had limited success attempting that with OmniOutliner files.