The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The "inbox" and "quick entry" buttons really annoy me! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
I'm honestly surprised that I didn't notice the icon alignment issue. I see it now and it looks really obvious.

Regarding wasted space, the example you gave of an app you liked not only wasted far more space, it filled the wasted space with bright, distracting clutter.

Am I right that you are the [REDACTED] who thinks that [OMNIFOCUS IS UGLY]? (Review on the App Store, if anybody is wondering).

I'm just another customer, but, the company is The Omni Group, not Omnifocus. While you have raised some valid criticisms, the direction you want them to take is ugly and wrong, IMHO. If they built their apps to more closely resemble the apps that you say you like, I would be *less likely* to give them money in the future.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I encourage you to express your ideas for the app's future. However, language that implies that your aesthetic sense is objectively superior and that the app is clearly ugly is silly.
I agree. I think he had made his point that the current interface doesn't suit his taste nor is desired by him, but to harp on this issue and trying to convince everyone of his points doesn't seem to be helpful nor objective.

I for one likes the interface, and all those empty spaces are what makes it easier to look at the tasks quickly. I don't want to spend a lot of time in OF looking at the tasks - in fact, you want to minimize the time you spend on OF and maximize the time you spend on your tasks! That's how you get things done.

The alignment issue doesn't bother me, and I in fact like having those big buttons for quick entry and inbox (shows me I need to process the items, and it can't be missed).

Just another perspective from another user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yata-Hey View Post
My thinking is that if the OG is going to waste screen real estate, at least make it pretty :).
My thinking exactly.

OmniFocus is a prime example of Function not in harmony with Form.

Things is a prime example of Form and Function in harmony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post

I haven't used Things for iPad, I've only looked at screen shots. Do you think it's accurate to say that they're trying for a similar aesthetic? (as opposed to the app that doodiebrad posted, which was trying for lots of visual cues showing real world stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
I haven't used Things for iPad, I've only looked at screen shots. Do you think it's accurate to say that they're trying for a similar aesthetic? (as opposed to the app that doodiebrad posted, which was trying for lots of visual cues showing real world stuff)
Well, I think Things is the only app which feels like Things on all platforms and devices when I am using them. With OmniFocus I feel like I am in totally different UX spaces when I am using them.

Task Managers are about focus and capturing data, so in the end it's really about the display of information, and striking a balance between the density of presenting this information and eliciting a sense of purpose and enjoyment for the user when they are deep in the processing of these tasks. It's at the core of design principles and I think CC really thought long and hard about how to balance Form & Function within their apps.

Having used enough GTD systems, I've come down to some central needs I look for:

. Have a trusted system which works for me
. Capture my needs
. Enjoy using it daily
. Rinse & Repeat

These are just my opinions of course. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post

I couldn't disagree more here!

My experience has been "Things is a prime example of Form over Function." I don't remember how many times I have to work around the system in order for my work flow to work. Also, the system is not as efficient as OF so that I was spending more time in Things than actually getting things done . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I couldn't disagree more here!

My experience has been "Things is a prime example of Form over Function." I don't remember how many times I have to work around the system in order for my work flow to work. Also, the system is not as efficient as OF so that I was spending more time in Things than actually getting things done . . .
I dunno, I think it takes about 3 weeks to get comfortable with either OmniFocus or Things...and after that, it's smooth sailing.

@Brian and @hollywood and @Omnigroup in general:

To bring things back to my original post...with a simple "yes" or "no."

Do you like the way this looks?

Just curious.

Thanks!
-DB

I don't mind how it looks. But to bring us back to the original title of the thread "GUI element that REALLY annoys me" ...

Does it "REALLY annoy me"? No.

I won't try to convince you it looks good ... why do you seem so intent on convincing the rest of us it looks bad?

Different strokes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
Different strokes ...
I guess it's like a key scratch on a Ferrari, for some it's just "meh!". :rolleyes: