The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

what's a smartlink? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a pc convert and new to both mac and omni, and I'll never go back.
However, I'm hoping that there are some attributes to omnigraffle that I loved about OneNote, namely creating a hyperlink to another document or to a website.
I've managed to do this in graffle, but I don't like the process. The way I've been doing it is using the pointer finger thing, and I'd much rather be able to just highlight a single word, rather than designate an entire box to one address.
Basically, I want to be able to type a paragraph in a diagram box that behaves like wikipedia, where you can click on significant words that help explain what I'm trying to convey in the diagram.
I tried right clicking on the selected text, which gave me the option to "smartlink," but it didn't do anything after I chose to "smartlink."

Huh.

Anybody who has any suggestions would be great to hear from.
Thank you, thank you.

I think what you're looking for is on the inspector.

You want the 3rd option for Properties. It's "action." You can choose what ever you want and then set the action that you want to happen based on what you select. I think it will work on the small amount of text you're wanting to link to.

Christopher

Hi Zeeebus

I'm a huge fan of Omnigraffle and use it for many things on a daily basis from brainstorming to large and complex diagrams. I do not, however, use it for a OneNote replacement.

For that I use Curio - a great app that plays nicely with OmniGraffle, thanks to a clever piece of open source functionality called Linkback, you can paste Omnigraffle diagrams into the idea spaces of Curio and then double click them to edit them back in Omnigraffle.

Keep using Omnigraffle and also have a look at Curio

-- Morgan