The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners Tip Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey guys, William here.

I just got my first iPhone on the weekend (4S), and one of the first things I looked for was a powerful todo/task manager, and from reading reviews, it seems Omni is as powerful as it gets.

But I also understand that, Omni's power comes in the way it handles workflow, rather than all out features list.

And I have done some beginner reading on GTD, and also bought the book, which should be arriving in a week or 2.

However, I was wondering if anyone here will be willing to give me a nice run down of:

1) How you use Omni for iPhone (examples/scenarios I love examples, and real life scenarios on how it applies!)
2) When would you use Projects vs Actions
3) What is the best way to use contexts? Is it a bit like tagging?
4) Any other power tips you have to get the most out of Omni and general productivity

I understand that I am asking alot, but I believe the answers will help alot of newbies, and perhaps even people who have been using Omni for a while, but not in the right way.

But to help things along, I will offer $20 on Paypal to the best answer (Or 2 x $10...for 2 best answers/guides). I'll decide by Friday :)

Thanks again guys, and looking forward to being a part of this community!

Will

Hello William,

welcome to the community.

This website might interest you http://usingomnifocus.com/ (also see the resources section there).

If your questions still stand afterwards we will be glad to provide some insight.

Enjoy

Thanks Christian,

Should I still go through the whole GTD book first, or this site and its resources should be sufficient for now?

Having read the book helps to understand the fundamentals. If you have ordered it anyways I would read it since it also assists you in getting the right global mindset. If you are on a budget and can still cancel it I think it would not set you back too much.

The page I linked sells its own book which is specifically written around OF and is more modern than the "old" GTD which does not really reflect modern times where everybody has a smartphone with them...

Ahh right, that makes sense, I can try to cancel, if not, then I'll leave it for bedtime reading :)

There is quite alot of resources, and I noticed alot of it is talking about the Mac App in particular. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac, and I don't think I will any time soon. Just how much can I get done purely through iPhone? Or do you recommend me use any other things on the iPhone/Web to augment this?

I would disagree with Christian a bit in that I think that Getting Things Done helps a lot in explaining what the GTD methodology is, why it works and how to do it.

If you haven't read Getting Things Done and aren't already using that type of prioritization and workflow, you should probably stick to Reminders in iOS 5 until you have a need for OmniFocus.

Edit: especially if you don't have a Mac and aren't going to use OmniFocus for Mac OS X.