The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone Context Location Radius Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be very nice to have a location radius for contexts. For example, I live in one city (say Petaluma) and I want to remember to do a few things when I'm in San Francisco, it would be great to have the ability to put in an address, etc., as a location, and then be able to tweak the radius so that it goes out X miles. I might, in this example, choose 10 miles from a location in San Francisco. That way, when I'm on my trip, no matter where I'm at in San Francisco, I can see the tasks that I've setup to do when I'm in the city.

What do you think? Is that possible with the way your locations work - I assume you are using a radius or similar to accomplish it already - it's just fixed.

Greg

As far as I know, we're just using point locations and picking the nearest locations. So even if one of your locations is in New York City, it'll still show up at the bottom of the 'nearby' contexts list. So in your example, when you're in SFO, anything in SFO will show up higher in the 'nearby' list than 'home'.

I second the motion. It would be great to be able to assign a location to a context. I have a context for Whole Foods. I would be happy to be able to actually assign a location to that context or have an unseen automation automatically assign a location to items added to that context so I wouldn't have to do it for each item on my shopping list.

Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
As far as I know, we're just using point locations and picking the nearest locations. So even if one of your locations is in New York City, it'll still show up at the bottom of the 'nearby' contexts list. So in your example, when you're in SFO, anything in SFO will show up higher in the 'nearby' list than 'home'.
After reading your response and using it more, I think you are right. The way you do it now is fine and a radius is irrelevant. I retract my request.

TripleM, you can assign a location to Whole Foods already - just edit that context on your iPhone and then chose the location (using one of four methods).

My request was for something different, but because of the great OmniFocus iPhone interface, my request is moot.

Is it possible to assign more than one location per context? For example 4 different grocery stores? I work 35 miles from home so if I wanted to pick up something at lunch or on the way home I would have several places I could go. I added 1 location but couldn't determine if I could add more. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstorm View Post
Is it possible to assign more than one location per context? For example 4 different grocery stores? I work 35 miles from home so if I wanted to pick up something at lunch or on the way home I would have several places I could go. I added 1 location but couldn't determine if I could add more. Thanks.
You could probably use the business search method. Enter the names of grocery stores you like, separated by the Boolean OR, and with some luck, Google will find one of the shops nearby.

Last edited by HiramvdG; 2008-08-08 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: clarification