The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Crazy Idea - become a Safari Extension Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, since development (from my understanding) usually has to do with bringing webkit up-to-date, why not leave webkit to the webkit guys, and try to migrate as many OW-specific features into a plugin/extension for Safari?
Which items can't be done that way?
Could that make OW features then something people could be charged for again? (I'd pay. Again.)

This idea has been tossed around a bit here however I think it might be tricky to bring all of our functionality into an extension. That said, there's a chance we may now be able to use the system webkit instead of our custom version which is something I'm a bit more interested in.

Thanks for the information, Troy. It is nice to hear that!
Looking forward to have an OmniWeb version that supports the system webkit.
This would save a lot of time in development too, am i right? So developers could better concentrate on the features of OmniWeb.

Just posted a similar thought in the General OmniWeb forum - and then found this post. Here is my post from General:

Quote:
I too have been a long time user of OmniWeb and regret that it hasn't been getting much attention lately. I'm finding a few websites that don't work in OmniWeb or that work significantly better with other browsers. Unfortunately, that number continues to slowly grow.

Yet I dislike going to other browsers. OmniWeb has spoiled me with the tab drawer down the side of my screen. Spoiled me with being able to set site specific settings. Spoiled me with the way that bookmarks are organized. And spoiled me with a host of other features that I'm just not finding elsewhere.

With the open source extensions that Apple has provided in Safari, if OmniWeb is a product that will face less development time is there any chance that some of these great OmniWeb features could be developed as extensions for Safari? Just a thought to save development time yet please all us loyal OmniWeb fans out here.
The idea of using the standard WebKit to keep OmniWeb more current sounds like a good idea too. I'd prefer to continue using OmniWeb as OmniWeb, but like Andreas I'd be willing to pay for an extension to Safari that brought over certain OmniWeb functionalities to Safari. Perhaps a series of extensions? The OmniWeb Tabs extension. The OmniWeb Bookmarks extension. The OmniWeb Site Settings extension.

FYI with help from the support Ninjas at Omni I found out that a lot of webpages that didn't work with OmniWeb did work if I simply unchecked the Languages->Request web pages in my preferred language(s) checkbox. Now whenever I have a problem I uncheck that box for the problem website and most of the time that takes care of the issue.