The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync can duplicate auto-completing projects with due dates [Bug: Will be fixed] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know people have posted about this for pages and pages, and I apologize for not having read everything, but for Brian and everyone else at Omni, I wanted to add two things:

(1) I never had the problem when my sync was set to Bonjour; the minute I changed it to MobileMe Sync (which I had to do because Bonjour syncing was so unstable for me at work), I started having the problem.

(2) The "duplication" of the item happens even when I don't sync! With such a task on the iPhone, I tap it "completed", go back to Home, and then return to the project, and the item is back! It's like the Jason Tab bug in Microsoft Word.

Santra - thanks! We've reproduced the bug, and it's not related to the sync method. I finally ended up getting it to happen via MobileMe sync. Basically the app mis-handles the case where it thinks the project is overdue and gets a 'no, it was completed before the deadline' transaction from another device that's syncing.

For #2, what is your "in projects, show" setting? If it's set to "remaining" or "all", and you're seeing a sincle copy of the project when you return, you're seeing the intended behavior. When you complete a repeating action, we create a new copy of the project with the updated start/due dates right then. It becomes visible when you tap away from the screen and come back.

If you're seeing this bug, you would see an overdue copy of the project and the new version with the updated start/due dates, sitting side by side.

Thanks, Brian, for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
For #2, what is your "in projects, show" setting? If it's set to "remaining" or "all", and you're seeing a sincle copy of the project when you return, you're seeing the intended behavior. When you complete a repeating action, we create a new copy of the project with the updated start/due dates right then. It becomes visible when you tap away from the screen and come back.

If you're seeing this bug, you would see an overdue copy of the project and the new version with the updated start/due dates, sitting side by side.
My "in projects, show" setting on my iPhone is "Available."

These are events that are set to repeat every day, repeat from completion date.

This worked perfectly for months and months. I would tap to check off a task on my iPhone, and it would be gone--until tomorrow. The identical behavior of how such actions would behave on OmniFocus desktop.

I look forward to a fix on this. I have 50-60 repeating daily events in my "Today" project, and I am pretty much dead in the water right now. Can't use my OmniFocus on my iPhone at all anymore.

Thanks.

Hmmm....just discovered, in addition, that tapping "done" for any of these repetitive tasks on the iPhone resets the start time to something completely different (maybe the exact current time right when the task is tapped as completed).

So this morning I'm on desktop OF resetting dozens of tasks that have the wrong start time. Important, because for daily repetitive actions, if it doesn't "roll over" at the right time (in the middle of the night, when I'm asleep) then it's not there the next morning when I wake up, boot my Mac, and go into OmniFocus.

Appears to be fixed by Desktop OF 1.7. Yes! Thank you, OmniGroup.

Is this truly meant to be fixed? I’m running OmniFocus 1.7.1 and I’m fairly sure it’s still happening to me.

I'm also experiencing this and I'm running 1.7.4.

I'm pretty sure that Santra was seeing a separate issue. The one that the bulk of the thread is about has been assigned to an engineer but is not yet closed. Sorry for the confusion.

I too am still seeing this issue EVERY DAY.

Brian, any idea when this bug will be worked out?

(I have to say that I love OmniFocus, but I'm growing weary of tracking the bugs that drive me crazy. Currently, I'm dialoguing with you guys about 3 bugs. One of those for over 13 months! This one since May. The other one for 2 months.)

It's assigned to an engineer, but since I'm not that person (nor an engineer, for that matter), I can't say exactly when a fix will be ready.

For the bug we're talking about to happen, the following must be true AFAIK:

Project must be repeating.
Project must be auto-completing.
Project must be completed on Machine A and synced to the server before the deadline arrives.
Machine B does not sync with the server again until the deadline passes. Project is duplicated when Machine B syncs.

If it's possible to tweak the workflow or for the devices to sync more often, that would likely minimize the number of times that this bites you. (Leaving both machines asleep but with OF open, for example.)

I'm not saying that we're not going to fix this; I'm just trying to reduce the frustration it causes you in the meantime.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-10-15 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: someone needed to ask me a question. Un-hurried my response after it finished. :-)