The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPad OmniFocus as Main OF Tool For Work - Thoughts? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sounds like it's at least worth a try - I had also contemplated taking a mac mini, or an older macbook, and leaving it there permanently. Hope it works out.

Thanks for the responses!

I will give a simple answer (and I am in the lucky situation that I do not have to deal with Windows PCs anywhere, we are all Mac): I have not even started the desktop version of OmniFocus since I bought the iPad version; I do not even care to sync it anymore. The iPad version is, IMHO, what the product should be: intuitive; I will look at the desktop version again once they bury the inspector and replace the filter bar with useful presets (like on the iPad). Maybe we will see a nice full screen version for Lion (one can wish)?

But then, I might be in a minority: I have absolutely no problems with the on-screen keyboard on the iPad. I even write extensive reports on it and my MBP has been staying at home for months.

Yes, i find the desktop too complex. The iPad is fast and easy and sits beautifully next to my pc with the Mac OF not being used. The ipad version does need some extra filtering or ability to see other slices of data but copes very well with the basics of task management and is after all still a version 1 which will surely improve.

In my view, it's not quite there yet.

I'm Mac @Home and PC @Work. I went rouge for a year @Work with my personal laptop just to use OF. In the end I decided I valued my job more than I valued using OS X and decided it would be stupid to risk getting fired over Mac OS.

OF iPad has some significant limits, for me the biggest is:
- Cannot send e-mails into OF to create Actions -

I used my Mac laptop for a year while my team architected a new device in Outlook. While I think that sounds broken in itself, OF Desktop allowed me to quickly file away e-mails within OF Desktop to create Actions with Notes that already contained a history of the Action and the content of the Action and any hyperlinks I needed to get info. Perfect.

OF iPad doesn't do that. You'll be forced to keep an @Action folder on your work laptop and manually transfer over any e-mails. I can't be bothered to do the transfer, so my Trusted System is in two places - which basically means it's broken.

OF iPad is great for morning reviews.

OF iPad isn't that great for intuitively moving Actions around. You can't drag and drop, you have to hit a Move button and select from a list where to move it. They might fix that after OmniOutliner comes out, but you probably shouldn't plan on it being any different until it is.

I can't figure out how to create Folder in OF iPad, so if I have a couple of major projects I want to create Folders for so I can narrow my Focus, I have to create those folders on OF Desktop and sync. This might be my problem.

I haven't had a lot of issues with the speed of entering Actions in a meeting. The built in keyboard works fine. I leave my iPad open in the case next to my computer and hand enter Actions as I go. That's not as fast as doing Quick Entry on the laptop, but it'll do.

My main problem is the lack of coordination between E-mail and OF iPad. That's not really an Omni created problem, but an iOS problem. In the end, it keeps me from taking it too seriously in a work environment pretty much driven by e-mail.

My company is super uptight about data security. We are strictly prohibited from keeping any company info on personal devices and using personal machines for work (I don't understand why contractors can have their own machines). I try to compromise by not syncing my Actions to the cloud. Which means I can't use MobileMe to sync and I have to setup personal WebDav servers. I wish Onmi would allow me to sync my Personal Folder to one server and sync my Work Folder to another, but that's probably more complicated than it's worth. I also rationalize that I can keep company info on my iPad by arguing that they can remote wipe with Exchange if I lose it.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
OF iPad isn't that great for intuitively moving Actions around. You can't drag and drop, you have to hit a Move button and select from a list where to move it. They might fix that after OmniOutliner comes out, but you probably shouldn't plan on it being any different until it is.
There is drag and drop editing within a project, though it has some limitations. Tap the Edit button, drag your action around. One limitation is that you can't drag it under some other item unless you've already done so with some other item. Another limitation is that you can't drag something to be the last item under something else; you have to drag it to be somewhere else (first, next to last, anywhere in between), tap Done, then do the Edit drill again to move it into the correct position. I don't know if there are plans to remove this obstacle.
Quote:
I can't figure out how to create Folder in OF iPad, so if I have a couple of major projects I want to create Folders for so I can narrow my Focus, I have to create those folders on OF Desktop and sync. This might be my problem.
It used to be your problem :-) To create a folder, tap the + button while in the projects view (but not focused on a single project), and one of the options will be to create a new folder at the top level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
In my view, it's not quite there yet.
Have you looked @ 2Do on the iOS platform? It connects with Toodledo or you can just do it all on device or do some Projects in the cloud and some only on device. For your workflow it might be ideal, as you could do a lot of heavy processing of tasks in FireFox and Toodledo and do your day to day stuff on your iOS device.

It's also a Universal App so for $6.99 you can run it on either device.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-11-17 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: made post more readable by reducing amount of quoted text.