The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you just need to be able to see your actions, and the list isn't too overwhelming, you could have OmniFocus print a copy to PDF to save in your Dropbox folder, and view it on your gadget with the Dropbox app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinHeat View Post
I love OmniFocus but I am extremely disappointed in how the company is currently refusing to expand and remain exclusively to Apple's closed system. I understand that developing apps into other platforms must be expensive, however isn't that the reason we paid premium price for this software product in the first place?

It seems that the exclusivity to Apple products might not pay off at the end with upcoming IOS 5. The new feature in the "Reminders App" seems to mimic Omni's location awareness drastically, and might actually be better on certain aspects.

I just hope Omni reconsiders their mission statement and do expand to other emerging platforms.
i.e. placates the freetards? Android is just as closed as iOS is, if it's the source code Google doesn't WANT you to see.

The only people who can make the business case for whether iOS support is sufficient on its own is the Omni Group.

Quote:
I understand that developing apps into other platforms must be expensive, however isn't that the reason we paid premium price for this software product in the first place?
Nope! We paid premium price for the software for the excellent support and ongoing development of the software for the platform on which we bought it. If I'm only using Apple gear, why would I want to finance development of Android, Windows, Linux, etc. versions? I want them to stick to what they do best! If supporting the current customers means building a web-based version, that presumably covers a wider variety of platforms for less cost. It's already a chore for them to keep the three different versions of OmniFocus coordinated.

You wouldn't buy an Android app hoping that the developer would get the message to support the Mac, would you?

One might even make the argument that the closed nature of the Apple ecosystem is a fundamental factor behind it being the most compelling technology. Omni isn't interested in building closed systems, don't misunderstand me, but the walled garden makes for a more pleasant place for them to do their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Nope! We paid premium price for the software for the excellent support and ongoing development of the software for the platform on which we bought it
This and the excellent products are exactly why Omni can charge a 'premium' price and to be honest, I do not see the price as premium, I see it as a fair price.

I've seen it too many times where good products have inadequate support and support is really important with such a key product in people's lives when things go wrong.

Imagine expanding Omnifocus from the 3 current versions to another 6 platforms (Windows Desktop 64 and 32 bit, Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile 6.5, Android phone, Android Tablet) all of which are current and your support overhead becomes massive, not to mention the development headaches.

The only newish company I've seen do this well is Evernote.

Last edited by GeoffAirey; 2011-08-17 at 02:29 AM..

Quote:
I love OmniFocus but I am extremely disappointed in how the company is currently refusing to expand and remain exclusively to Apple's closed system. I understand that developing apps into other platforms must be expensive, however isn't that the reason we paid premium price for this software product in the first place?

It seems that the exclusivity to Apple products might not pay off at the end with upcoming IOS 5. The new feature in the "Reminders App" seems to mimic Omni's location awareness drastically, and might actually be better on certain aspects.

I just hope Omni reconsiders their mission statement and do expand to other emerging platforms.
Ludicrous!! We are paying a "fair" price for such well developed software because it is such well developed software.

Good people at Omni, please pay no heed to any request to make our goodness a little less good by diverting resources to the that platform.

My concern is simply that Droid is becoming a dominant player in handsets, and both creating and absorbing a large pool of savvy mobile app users (like, who manage tasks there).

My recent move to an HTC Droid has now forced me to evaluate all the OmniFocus competitors AND SELECT ONE. (Oye Vey!)

With EverNote setting the new standard, it's hard to see how OmniFocus can continue much longer without clean apps for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justapersona View Post
My concern is simply that Droid is becoming a dominant player in handsets, and both creating and absorbing a large pool of savvy mobile app users (like, who manage tasks there).

My recent move to an HTC Droid has now forced me to evaluate all the OmniFocus competitors AND SELECT ONE. (Oye Vey!)

With EverNote setting the new standard, it's hard to see how OmniFocus can continue much longer without clean apps for both.
LMAO. Sure, because Omni can't figure out if they're making enough money on the iOS version.

I loved Omnifocus, but since I bought myself an android phone and got rid of my iPod touch I needed something that worked on both mac and android. I went for Toodledo/DTG-GTD: syncs on android, it is web based, it is interfaced with gmail. It means I can use it everywere, on any platform, even on machines that are not mine. I will be willing to reconsider as soon as Omnifocus can do the following:

-sync with calendars
-sync with google/gmail
-have an android application

Best,
il_freddy

www.nirvanahq.com

Doesn't matter anymore, I and totally would have bought omnifocus, i see a lot of really dumb arguments defending their stance on not making an android app... in the end it is only up to them, considering how frustrating it is having such a good software product not available for your phone, it's kinda funny to me that they thought ignoring android was a good idea, especially in light of how good nirvanahq.com is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrademacher View Post
www.nirvanahq.com

Doesn't matter anymore, I and totally would have bought omnifocus, i see a lot of really dumb arguments defending their stance on not making an android app... in the end it is only up to them, considering how frustrating it is having such a good software product not available for your phone, it's kinda funny to me that they thought ignoring android was a good idea, especially in light of how good nirvanahq.com is.
Must be great given that it's 100% web based and there aren't yet native clients for iOS *or* Android.

I hate web clients, personally. Otherwise Flow might have been interesting.