The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

"can't find host" on iPhone 3G Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
go to System Preferences->Network->Airport, and type in the number that's in the IP Address field. Note if you have dynamic IPs through your ISP that this number will change if you reboot or something most likely.

Yes, that number matches what I've been using. Could it be some firewall setting on the airport? my iPhone tells me that it's using the wifi (icon at top next to "AT&T")

In System Preferences, click on "Sharing". Right under your computer name, it will say something like "Computers on your local network can access your computer at: MacName.local". You should be able to use that "MacName.local" address in your Sync URL.

Hope this helps!

Here's my /etc/apache2/extra/httpd-dav.conf
Does it look right?

#
# Distributed authoring and versioning (WebDAV)
#
# Required modules: mod_dav, mod_dav_fs, mod_setenvif, mod_alias
# mod_auth_digest, mod_authn_file
#

# The following example gives DAV write access to a directory called
# "uploads" under the ServerRoot directory.
#
# The User/Group specified in httpd.conf needs to have write permissions
# on the directory where the DavLockDB is placed and on any directory where
# "Dav On" is specified.

DavLockDB "/usr/var/DavLock"

Alias /uploads "/usr/uploads"

<Directory "/usr/uploads">
Dav On

Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

AuthType Digest
AuthName DAV-upload
# You can use the htdigest program to create the password database:
# htdigest -c "/usr/user.passwd" DAV-upload admin
AuthUserFile "/usr/user.passwd"

# Allow universal read-access, but writes are restricted
# to the admin user.
<LimitExcept GET OPTIONS>
require user admin
</LimitExcept>
</Directory>

# The following added by DEI on 7/12/08
Alias /webdav "/Library/WebServer/WebDAV"

<Directory "/Library/WebServer/WebDAV">
Dav On

Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

AuthType Basic
AuthName WebDAV-Realm
AuthUserFile "/usr/webdav.passwd"

<LimitExcept GET OPTIONS>
require user deivers
</LimitExcept>
</Directory>

#
# The following directives disable redirects on non-GET requests for
# a directory that does not include the trailing slash. This fixes a
# problem with several clients that do not appropriately handle
# redirects for folders with DAV methods.
#
BrowserMatch "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "MS FrontPage" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^WebDrive" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^WebDAVFS/1.[0123]" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^gnome-vfs/1.0" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^XML Spy" redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch "^Dreamweaver-WebDAV-SCM1" redirect-carefully

Ken, thanks for the tip, I had never noticed that url. I can type the url (form of http://xxxxxx.local) into the browser of any computer on my local network and it shows an apache default page -- but I don't get anything on iPhone safari (it says "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding"). What does that tell me?

Hmm, good question! At least you've determined that the problem isn't specific to OmniFocus, which means you might be able to get some more help from an OS X sysadmin resource (like Omni's MacOSX-admin mailing list).

One thing you could check are the apache error logs (in /var/log/apache2); they might have some more information that could indicate why the server stopped responding to your iPhone.

Sorry I couldn't help further!

Your IP address isn't in a file, it's in your network control panel. Go to System Preferences->Network, click on your Airport, and it should either say "Airport is connected to (your network name) and has IP address (something)", or, if you're running Tiger, you might need to click to the TCP/IP settings and find it there.

Or, you can go to a Terminal and run ifconfig. Then you'll have to look through a list of stuff that looks like this:
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21b:63ff:fec3:dfe7%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
inet 192.168.2.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
ether 00:1b:63:c3:df:e7
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect

That's my airport, the name at the beginning of the group will probably be en1, and the IP address here is 192.168.2.101

If you have vmware or parallels installed, you might have a bunch of interfaces with 10.something addresses, these are not what you're looking for.

The number I get is one that I've already tried without success (it happens to start with a 10...) My xxxxxx.local at least gets me a response (mac not iphone).