The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Taking the interface to the next dimension Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Now updated

*click to embiggen*

1. An inline Find bar.

2. Status Bar items for individual sites can be now moved to the pertaining tab, thus eliminating the need for the Status Bar (#5 completes this step). The website beneath the items is blurred for easier readability of the little buttons, which can be dynamically rearranged into proper columns/rows to fit the tab when the tabs bar is being resized.

3. Tab Magnification. Behaves like the Dock; i.e. magnification on/off, min/max and size.

The tab bar can be positioned on the left or right side of the window so as not to interfere with users who use the Dock vertically.

4. New download interface:

See this thread for more info: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...0137#post50137

5. Mouse over links generate a graphical text overlay of the link address near the bottom left of the screen.

6. An optional path bar, it's like a more in depth version of Safari's Snapback technology.

Last edited by OmniGuy; 2008-11-04 at 12:23 PM..

The status-icons-on-the-tab thing won't work for people who use list view. Fwiw.

I think I would prefer an option to have the 'Downloads' be a permanent tab which displayed its content in the main window rather than just in a squashed up little box in the bottom left. In the location that you have it, it takes too much space away from the tabs, can't display very much information and the filenames would be highly truncated at anything other than a wide setting for the sidebar. However, it would be useful for a quick look and see on the progress of active downloads (a bit like the activity pane in Mail's sidebar), but it wouldn't be a practical, complete replacement for what exists in OmniWeb now.

I'm not sure the zooming of tabs would be practical either, especially for anyone who has their Dock on the left of their screen - you would be constantly magnifying tabs whenever you ran over the sidebar to do something else. Of course, you could use a modifier to enable magnification like you can with the Leopard Dock (control-shift) so it still has potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
The status-icons-on-the-tab thing won't work for people who use list view. Fwiw.
This can work:

They appear under a selected tab.

Quote:
I think I would prefer an option to have the 'Downloads' be a permanent tab which displayed its content in the main window rather than just in a squashed up little box in the bottom left.
That's a great idea. I changed it, see http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10452

Quote:
I'm not sure the zooming of tabs would be practical either, especially for anyone who has their Dock on the left of their screen - you would be constantly magnifying tabs whenever you ran over the sidebar to do something else. Of course, you could use a modifier to enable magnification like you can with the Leopard Dock (control-shift) so it still has potential.
Whoa! I never knew that control+shift trick!
If people have their Dock on the left side, they can switch the Tabs panel to the right side. There you go, zooming tabs do have plenty of potential.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by OmniGuy; 2008-11-04 at 10:07 AM..

I prefer iCab's Find Highlighting mechanism. It doesn't bring up that painful find bar which you then have to close without a key command and the highlight is far more obvious than a tiny little yellow overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
It doesn't bring up that painful find bar which you then have to close without a key command.
Press the 'escape' key

Inline Tabs would be a good option for people who want it but that whole idea is not for me sorry, if it went like that I would stop using OmniWeb.

Less is more. I just want to see the thumbnails and nothing above, below, or around them. I would like that much better.