The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GTD vs ZTD and OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i am studying ztd. my burning question is do u guys literally limit your contexts to the 5 or so he suggests... im about to adopt ztd but im havig trouble taking the plunge.

Have as many contexts as you need and as few contexts as you need. It depends on your current situation. In my weekly review, I'll decide whether to increase or decrease my contexts.

I usually have a single @errands context. But sometimes, when it gets too long and cumbersome to view on my iPod touch, I'll break down my @errands context into sub-contexts:

@errands-grocery
@errands-Home Depot
@errands-Office Depot
@errands-Apple Store

So, if I'm grocery shopping, I'll be checking @errands-grocery. I don't need to see my Home Depot items or my Apple store items if I'm at the grocery mart.

When I was doing some major house renovations, I broke my contexts into:

@errands-Home Depot
@errands-Ace Hardware
@errands-Carpet Masters
@errands-Sunshine Glass & Screens

....and so forth....

I would use these sub-contexts constantly until I finished my home renovations. Then I eliminated the contexts and returned back to a single @errands list.

I think one the things that Leo Babauta didn't like about GTD was that you had so many lists for a paper-based GTD setup.

You had a projects list where you kept a list of all the projects and their tasks. Then you had a context list. You would scan your projects and create a new list for each of your contexts. This would be overwhelming for a paper-based GTD setup. So Leo promoted keeping your context simple so that you wouldn't have to keep so many pages or lists.

But now that you have GTD, you go to project (planning) mode to enter your tasks and associate a context. Then you go into context (doing) mode and OmniFocus will be allow you to focus on a particular context and see all the relevant Next Actions for your context (@work, @home, @errands, etc.).

So, Leo's suggestion of keeping fewer contexts as meant to help you if you have a paper-based GTD setup.

Hey guys

go to heydave.org/post/26770221775/my-productivity-system

This link also is similiar to ZTD kinda has the same concepts. Omnifocus is awesome but im thinking of going back to it but just using with a minimal project like ZTD and Dave Lee.

Also I am coming from Evernote which is awesome for notes but just okay for tasks. Ive used it for awhile but I will go back to omnifocus after several years...