The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Can I ... And How ...??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been test-driving the top 3 GTD apps for mac ... if I can say that ... and its time to make a decision and get back to business. I've concluded after much thought that I will probably be "mind-like-water" by implementing the habits that serve me well - along with some new frontier in productivity ideas.

My question is: Can I set up a "Perspective" or perhaps there's a better way to accomplish this ... but after processing my INBOX and putting the various tasks and actions to their neatly assigned homes ... could I pull from various places tasks and actions into a daily "TO DO"? and then as I would complete they would show up in their respective original starting places. I hope this makes sense.

I want to get it all organized but at the end of each day I would like to review and decide what specifically I will handle tomorrow and would like to be able to set this up as such. What would be the best way to handle?

Also I'm interested in others that perhaps work this way ... my business has me working on many projects at once often with very quick turn-around timelines and so I don't want to do away with a daily to do.

Thanks in advance!

I use flags for this. At the beginning of the day (or every few days), I go through my list of projects and actions and flag the items I'd like to work on. I then switch to my "flagged" perspective to see a list of all the items I'm currently working on.

As the items get completed, I check them off and they drop off the list but are still in their original projects. I might also unflag some items if more important things come up. As with the completed actions, the unlfagged ones are still in their original projects, so I can always go back and flag them again in the future when I'm ready.

Along with my list of flagged items, I also keep a "due" perspective to keep an eye on urgent items with due dates. But usually I'm working from my flagged list for day-to-day items.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

Excellent!!! Thank you Dennis ... This will work just fine.

Just out of curiosity would you like a "TODAY" option ... or have you been using the flags now for so long that it doesn't matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Things Creative View Post
Just out of curiosity would you like a "TODAY" option ... or have you been using the flags now for so long that it doesn't matter?
Aren't they really the same thing? What would a "today" option do that flags don't? If you want to see due items and flagged items all in one view, you can set up a perspective for that in OmniFocus as well.

Personally, I prefer to view my urgent items (due soon) and my important items (flagged) in separate lists. I usually start on the urgent list and knock off whatever has to get done immediately, and then switch over to my important list for the rest of the day.

My important items aren't necessarily limited to today -- I may be working on some of them for several days. So a "today" list would really be a misnomer for my workflow anyway. :-)

-Dennis