The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single Action Lists VS. Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello folks,

I have been reading these pages now for a long time.

I am a pretty n00b to GTD and OF, although I do confront myself with it since 6 months ago.

I have a pretty simple question:

What IS the major difference between single-action lists and projects?
Because you can choose in both types whether you want to make it sequential or parallel... Seriously I dont get it.
Are single-action lists thought to be in David Allen's point of view checklists and projects just projects?

Would be great to get some opinions!

Cheers

Deinhart

Quote:
What IS the major difference between single-action lists and projects?
In theory, single action lists are a group of 2 or more unrelated tasks, while a project consists of 2 or more related tasks.

Quote:
Because you can choose in both types whether you want to make it sequential or parallel...
Not exactly. You set in the info panel if the list is a sequential project, a parallel project, or a single action list.

You can create sequential actions groups in a single action list, but at the top level a single action list is always parallel.

One area where OmniFocus treats the lists differently is when you select "Next Action" as a filter. Assuming no tasks are blocked by start dates, no nested action groups, etc., a filter of "Next Action" will show all tasks in a Single Action list, while parallel and sequential projects will show only the task at the top of the list.

Hey thx for the info!

I got that point now! But can you also explain please the sense that you can chose parallel or sequential when the result is that in both next actions are grayed out and thus not available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinhart View Post
I got that point now! But can you also explain please the sense that you can chose parallel or sequential when the result is that in both next actions are grayed out and thus not available?
1) If you have a view filter set to Next Action, then only the top action will appear in either a parallel or a sequential project.

2) If you change the view filter to Available, then you will see the top action in a sequential project (the top action blocks the subsequent actions) while the parallel project will display all remaining actions. *

* All this assumes that the actions are not blocked by a start date, and that none of the projects and/or contexts are on hold. If the top level actions are grayed out, look to see if a start date/hold status is blocking the task.

Thanks. This makes sense!