The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2 Macs + 1 iPhone = 1 sync or 2? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a variant on this question.

I have a mac at home and another at work. I have OF on both, and on my iphone.

My iphone and work mac are synced already over bonjour. What is the best way of getting my home mac up-to-date? (I have a fresh, unused install of OF on that machine, with no tasks in it yet)

Bonjour is the only option I can use, but when I go to set it up, the wording implies that the contents of the home mac's empty OF database will be used as the definitive one, thus deleting everything in the iphone's version.

Should I email myself a copy of my work database and import it into my Mac at home and start from there? Or should I just sync through my iphone and it will all be OK?

Bonjour sync isn't going to work if both Macs don't have network access to each other. You'll be able to sync your iPhone with one Mac or the other, but not both.

Bonjour sync has one device acting as a server - your work mac, in this case - and all the other devices acting as sync clients. We've talked about a setup where a mobile device is the server and ferries information back and forth between various Macs. It wouldn't be easy, though, and most folks seem happy with the current options...

In any case, given that your two Macs aren't on the same wireless network, I'd recommend setting up an account with one of the free WebDAV providers listed in this thread.

By using WebDAV, your two Macs will be able to sync with each other, and you'll have the additional benefit of being able to sync your iPhone from any place with a network connection - even out in the field.

If you have more questions or want help switching over to webDAV syncing, feel free to give us a call (1 800-315-6664) or email the support ninjas. We're happy to help!

Thanks Brian, I will check it out over the weekend.

For future readers - it worked, thanks!