The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forwarding email into OF from iPhone problem Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Writing new emails on my iPhone and having them show up in OF is working fine, forwarding an email -- not so much. I know of the need for the email to be written in plain text, but I don't seem to have that ability when I try and forward an email. This is important, as most of my actions requests come to me as an email.

When I process through Mail.app, everything is fine because I can set the reply/forward as plain text in my preferences. But because I process most of mail on my phone, this becomes a problem.

Anyone else run into this?

I am confused: how do you get the emails you write to show up in OmniFocus, on the iPhone? On the Mac, you can setup a rule in Mail.app that will create actions in OmniFocus from emails, but I don't think you can do that on the iPhone. Or did I misunderstand what you are trying to do?

Alex

I think what he is saying is that he can send an email that he writes in the Mail app on the iPhone to the address watched by Mail on his Mac and it gets entered into OmniFocus. What he can't do is forward an email from Mail app on the iPhone to Mail on the Mac, because it won't be a plain text message. Based on my limited experimentation, it seems one can't even do copy/paste of content from another message as a workaround :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I think what he is saying is that he can send an email that he writes in the Mail app on the iPhone to the address watched by Mail on his Mac and it gets entered into OmniFocus. What he can't do is forward an email from Mail app on the iPhone to Mail on the Mac, because it won't be a plain text message. Based on my limited experimentation, it seems one can't even do copy/paste of content from another message as a workaround :(
That's exactly right. I have a Mac set aside running Mail and OF with the rule set up. Works great except -- forwarded messages from my iPhone. Yes, even copy/pasted emails from the iPhone also get processed fine by the rule on the Mac but never show up in OF. I love OF, but so many requests come in via email that I process on my iPhone that I need to find an effecient workaround.

I see. I thought I did that in the past, but maybe it was with plain text messages. I would contact OmniGroup's support ninja and ask them the question. Then make sure to report here on what they told you, so it benefits the community :).

(Now I don't include whole messages in next actions I create, but just rely on a few words from the title or on the author to then find that message. It may not sound like a perfect system, but in practice it works really well.)

Alex

I have the same problem with ALL my iPhone messages.
I send myself an e-mail, using the correct protocol:
-- Action @context #date
It comes into my Mail inbox fine
It is processed by the Omnifocus rule, and left marked read in my Mail inbox
It does NOT make it into OF!

Now, any mail I send myself from Mail gets processed ok, so that's nice (but I can also go to the application, duh, and input it there...). But I cannot understand why e-mails coming from the iPhone don't get processed by OF.

I see others are having trouble only with forwarding, but this is not my case. Any and every iPhone email, clean, with no other content but the action item, do not get processed by OF even though the rule catches them in Mail.

Any ideas?

What content-type are the iPhone messages coming in as? Is it "text/plain", or is another MIME type being used?

Does the email address the phone is sending from on the "allowed from" list in OmniFocus for Mac's preferences?

Off the top of my head those are two things that come to mind. If that doesn't resolve it, please get in touch with the support ninjas so they can help. We try to get on the forums as much as possible, but we can't guarantee a response to every post; the support ninjas guarantee a response to every email.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-02-02 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: add email link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What content-type are the iPhone messages coming in as? Is it "text/plain", or is another MIME type being used?
Does the email address the phone is sending from on the "allowed from" list in OmniFocus for Mac's preferences?
Thank you, Brian!

1. I don't think the iPhone allows the user to set content type at all. Looking at the headers of the test messages I sent myself, I notice the header "content-type" says:
text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

This would seem to tell me (not an expert... sorry!) that the message is plain text, right?

2. I checked the Mail preferences in OF and all the addresses in my personal card were already put in there (I guess by smart programming in OF that went to my "me" card in Address Book!).

So two strikes... I will put a note in OF to contact the Ninjas!!!

Thank you. Any more ideas would be super welcome.

Best regards

I've found it works better if I send email to OmniFocus from my iPod Touch from my MobileMe account to my gmail account so that the Mail app on the iPod doesn't immediately read the new message after sending it and mark it as read. If it is marked as read before the rule is processed, you don't get the handoff to OmniFocus. Might be worth a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA.Ashe View Post
1. I don't think the iPhone allows the user to set content type at all. Looking at the headers of the test messages I sent myself, I notice the header "content-type" says:
text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

This would seem to tell me (not an expert... sorry!) that the message is plain text, right?
Yep, that's correct. While I'm thinking of it, I just figured out why the folks are having trouble forwarding messages along from the iPhone - it puts the contents of the forwarded message into an attachment, so the MIME type for their message becomes "multipart/alternative".

Based on the description in the thread, I would expect this to work, but that's obviously not happening. :-) The support ninjas will probably ask you for a screenshot of the long headers for one of the messages you're having trouble with, and a screenshot of the Mail pane of OmniFocus' preferences.

(You can take a screenshot by pressing command-shift-4, which will give you a selection cursor. Tap your Space key, click on the window you want to capture, and when you release the mouse the image will be saved to your desktop as 'Picture 1', 'Picture 2', etc.)

You can then drag the images to an email message to the ninjas and we'll use the information they contain to try and figure out what's going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If it is marked as read before the rule is processed, you don't get the handoff to OmniFocus.
I had forgotten about the "inbox mail rules only get applied to messages marked unread" behavior in Mail; I wonder how many of the posts like this are because of that.