The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View only certain level(s) of headings Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I haven't been able to figure out how to do this anywhere in OOP -- and, boy, is the manual for OO now looking pretty dated and kinda thin (perhaps revealing how long it's been since OO got the proper love it deserves for being the foundation for many other Omni apps?) -- and this may not be even possible:

One of my favorite uses of OmniOutliner is as a place where I keep my lecture and meeting notes. In both cases, I would like to release to participants the upper level headings as an agenda for them to see and use while keeping the actual contents for myself -- I typically release my notes after a class or meeting for reference, but not before since I am often working on them up until the meeting or class starts.

Now, I am pretty sure I could do this by shoving everything I want to "hide" into notes attached to headings, but this loses a lot of stuff that I would prefer to manage and manipulate in the more robust outline environment. (One can move outline components around, and in and out, in a way that notes are rather stuck.

Oh, and yes, insert all the usual whinings-pleadings- about attending to OO and getting things like View Zoom into it. (I'm really tired of increasing font sizes and the jiggering with the right-side of the app window to get the printing size "just right." [/Goldilocks Voice]

John - it sounds like one of the "Collapse To" items in the Useful Scripts package may be helpful; you can even add the one you prefer to the OmniOutliner's toolbar if that would be helpful.

You can grab the disk image with the scripts from the OmniOutliner Extras page - hope that helps!

John, if you arrange the view of your outline so that only the items you want people to see are visible (i.e., upper-level headings), and the content that you don't want them to see is hidden, you can print exactly that view to a .pdf, and the content will remain hidden.

Last edited by rogbar; 2011-08-31 at 04:54 PM..

Thanks, Brian. I am downloading the Extras now. (How long have I been an OO user and not known about these? I'm slipping in my old age.)

Rogbar ... I'm hoping these scripts essentially automate what you suggest. I tend to keep the "structural part of the outline in the two or three levels with detail below that level, but if I had to go and tweak an outline for presentation each and every time I wanted to create a PDF ... ooh, boy, that would be a lot of time.

Hi John,

I use the "Collapse To" script to control how much is viewable before printing to the .pdf. You're right - to do it manually would be a major drag.