The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't draw a line ??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
So, I just downloaded OmniGraffle (standard edition) for the 14 day trial. So far, I'm not impressed. I can't even seem to draw a line where I want. I have succeeded in creating some layers and drawing some rectangles, and changing the line style, fill, and shadow of them. However, when I try lines, I am completely baffled.

The help document says to select the Line tool, click once to anchor the source of the line, then double-click somewhere else to terminate the line.

However, when I try to do that, here's what happens:

I choose the Line tool. When I click once, I don't see anything on-screen until I move the cursor. As soon as I move the cursor, a line appears that is anchored at the exact center of my canvas, and extends to the current position of the cursor. From then on, anywhere I move the cursor, the terminator of the line follows. OK... ???

So I double-click somewhere, and the line terminates as promised. It extends from dead-center of the canvas to wherever I double-clicked. It doesn't matter where I originally single-clicked to start the line; it always starts at dead center.

Then, if I go back to the Selection tool and try to move the line, I can't. When I select the line, and I get a little circle at each end of the line. Just grabbing the line and trying to drag it does nothing. If I try to move the anchor at the source end of the line (the circle dead-center on the canvas), I get the cross-hair cursor which indicates I should be able to move the anchor, but the anchor will NOT move. If I try to move the circle at the termination end of the line (where I double-clicked), I get the same cross-hair, but as soon as I try to drag the point, the terminator immediately jumps to dead-center on the canvas, right on top of the source-end anchor.

From that point on, the line is a single dot. Nothing I do to it will move it in any way.

Has anyone seen this behavior before, and have any clue what I'm doing wrong?

I am using OmniGraffle 5.2.3 (v138.17.0.133677) on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.8. I defined my own page layout, which is 11 x 8.5 inches ("letter landscape," if you will). My document has 2 layers. Layer 1 has some rectangles on it, with various styles. Layer 2 is the currently-selected layer that I'm trying to draw on, and it is blank.

Thanks,
Rodney