The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backward compatibility Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am in a situation where I'll have to hand off my OG 5.x docs to someone who is still in the 4.x universe. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? I understand that making 5.x documents compatible with 4.x would be very challenging given the whole concept of Masters has been replaced with Shared Layers. I believe if you try to open a 5.x doc in 4.x the shared layers appear as masters but are not applied to any canvases. So I can imagine that with some bookkeeping and copy-pasting, the doc could be made to work, but I was wondering if anyone else had come up against this problem and figured out a solution.

Thanks!
--pv

Shared layers made in version 5 show up as master canvases in version 4, and they apply to whatever canvases the shared layers are on to begin with -- There's no loss involved.

Thanks, Joel, but it's not as simple as it may appear on surface. The whole idea of shared layers is that you can have multiple shared layers on one canvas. Whereas in 4, you can only have one master to a canvas. So when I open the file in 4, there's no data loss, but I have to create new masters to reflect the combination of shared layers that I had in my 5.x file. This itself is a bit of a pain, because for some reason I couldn't just drag and drop layers between master canvases, and couldn't even add a new layer to an existing master, so I have to create a new master and then copy-paste objects from the masters created from shared layers. Then I have to go in and apply these newly created combination masters to my canvases.
And as if this isn't painful enough, I'm getting an Alert on almost every action (applying a canvas, switching canvases, etc): the Alert says something like *** -[NSFlippableView delegate]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x178778c0.

I understand that you have to give up backward compatibility at some point, so I'm not sure that I'm expecting any fixes, but just wanted to point out that it's not as simple as you describe it

Thanks,
--pv

The NSFlippableView error should have been fixed in OmniGraffle 4.2.3, so if you're not running that version I'd recommend getting it from our software archive.

Thanks, Joel! I was running 4.2.1. No more errors! Because the update notification only talked about 5.0, I always ignored it and didn't realize that there was an update to 4.x.

--pv