The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Fetching remote database" takes forever? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
YIKES!
Just as i posted this it worked!
Still I am interested in other experiences but this is no longer a call for help. :-D

FINALLY MY TASKS ON THE iPHONE - WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

Original Post:
----------------

Hi folks!

If YOU have already successfully synced your OF DB to the iPhone, how long did it take?

I am asking because i already started several tries but OF on the phone seems to take forever when coming to the "Fetching remote database" step of synchronization. There is absolutely no progress, even after waiting for 15mins. Connection is via WLAN and the rather fast internet uplink of our lab.

I quit OF on the Mac and made sure the idisk is synced well.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

Cheers
Silvan

PS: OF document file size is about 45MB after i used the archiving function for old data.

Last edited by Quorcork; 2008-07-11 at 05:50 AM..

45 MB? You might want to archive some more data if you can.

Whoa. 45 MB?! I have a lot of actions in mine database (certainly more than a 1,000). But the last time I checked, my file size was only about 320 KB. Of course, I have no embedded attachments (all linked in), so that probably makes a big difference.

-Dennis

I have this same problem. I have archived everything since 1/7/08 so I can't imagine my database is terribly large.

Any solution?

Jennifer

OK, so I just checked and mine IS that large. 50 MB.

Regardless, how do I get it to sync properly?

Jennifer

BTW I have no imbedded attachments either.

My database is 60+MB.

I -do- have a lot of embedded attachments. And I like them and want to continue embedding attachments. The attachments are relevant to the tasks... and I don't want to archive them in my filesystem (scanned recipts, scanned hand writted notes, files that need my review and approval, etc).

I want them to live in OF go away when the task goes away. It's a perfect GTD system. My projects live in OF and my archives live in my archives, and nothing gets into my archives unless I choose to retain it. (Archives live mostly in DevonThink).

This should not stop me from syncing my iphone. If it does, I think it's a serious design flaw. Why design an app that can accept embedded attachments, but have that break the sync functionality, or vs versa...

If the size of the database, due to my attachment, is what is breaking this sync, I really hope that this flaw is addressed in the next release...

BTW–*I don't need the attachments on the iphone...

The attachments don't prevent you from syncing, but that much data can take a long time to send to the phone. We have no influence over how long it takes to stuff your bits into the radio on the phone. :-)

Are you syncing over WiFi or EDGE? Are you getting an error message? Is the phone going to sleep during the sync process? I'm not sure if that lets us continue running or not.

There are a couple of different things that may be going on here - the best thing to do is probably to contact the support ninjas directly.

I've been experiencing extremely slow sync times... 5 to 30 minutes and sometimes the sync would time out.

From advice found in this thread:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...t=10604&page=2

I ran the smooshing script and have experienced dramatic improvement.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...87&postcount=1

That link is dead now..