The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner for the iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
1) Do you need multiple columns of data, column types, or the column summary options?

Yes for multiple columns and column types. Summary options are a great feature but not killer one.

2) Do you need formatting support? Or just plain text like OmniFocus for the iPhone.

Formtatting.

3) Do you need attachment support?

Sometimes.

4) Should it be a viewer only, or have editing capabilities? If just a viewer only, how well does the Quick Look preview/DHTML export meet your needs? (Viewing the export on the iPhone that is)

Editing, If it's a viewer I donīt need it.

5) What kind of syncing expectations do you have? This would be one big reason why OmniOutliner 4 needs to be developed first as OO3 is not designed for merging synced changes.

If I create a Outline on the mac y want to keep working with in my iPhone. For example, I leave my data on MobileMe or in Dropbox, so I can open it everywhere, Why not on my iPhone? A sync web like the outliner of CarbonFin is the best idea I've seen until now. I can edit my outlines in the web or in the iphone and export then to OO. But OmniOutliner for the iPhone has to be an outliner in all the ways.

Come on! develop it! And we'll buy it!!!

First, I would buy a OO for iPhone in a heart beat!

Your questions:

1) Do you need multiple columns of data, column types, or the column summary options?

Yes this is an important feature, though if it only worked in a simplified form, this would be fine.

2) Do you need formatting support? Or just plain text like OmniFocus for the iPhone.

It of course is nice to have formatting, but I also realize the display is limited in space. It would be nice if at least formatting was preserved when synchronizing. In other words, I dont lose any formatting on rows I have not edited with synchronized documents.

No

4) Should it be a viewer only, or have editing capabilities? If just a viewer only, how well does the Quick Look preview/DHTML export meet your needs? (Viewing the export on the iPhone that is)

Editing would be important. I think one comprimise might be to have an editing mode and a view mode. Maybe the view mode supports some of the formatting but the editing mode be simple text.

5) What kind of syncing expectations do you have? This would be one big reason why OmniOutliner 4 needs to be developed first as OO3 is not designed for merging synced changes.

Apple does not make this easy for you. It is sad every application has to reinvent the wheel. Frankly, I would be satisfied with simple file synchronization between the device and the desktop. Row by row is nice, but may be over kill.

I agree with pault6 on pretty much everything.
But, i'd also be happy with a simple omni outliner to start with that syncs with my desktop client (webdav would be great).

I am an avid user of Omni products, both at work and at home, including OmniOutliner and OmniFocus. When OF arrived I found myself havering somewhat on which to use when, but this has now settled down. In accord with the point well made in another post, I have individual OO files located with other documents for a meeting or project, and use these for meeting or lecture notes, project options and so forth. I also use them extensively for lists (instead of Numbers), and keep a folder of aliases of these in my Dock.

So - my immediate need for iPhone from OO is simply to be able to view the files without converting them to PDF - QuickLook preview would be fine, along with support from file transfer tools such as FileMagnet.

Better support for columns would be a big plus for me in OO4, including fixing column positions, sorting by column and hiding selected columns - Numbers would be a good role model here.

Better integration between OO and OF is also high on my wish list - how about being able to call or view OO files from within OF. Linking OO files in a hierarchy would also be nice.

Food for though ...

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wells View Post
Better integration between OO and OF is also high on my wish list - how about being able to call or view OO files from within OF.
Is this in regards to the iPhone specifically? You can already Quick Look OO files attached to OF tasks on the desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
I have used multiple columns (like check boxes, task owner, due date, etc), but the first column is the one that holds my main data. What might be cool is to enable columns like TweetDesk on the iPhone does, so I can view one column at a time but then swipe my finger left or right to scroll sideways through the columns. Nice.

If you do that, though, you might want some sort of row shading so your eye can follow the row across columns as the columns slide across the screen.

Quote:
I would prefer formatting, but am willing to lose it as long as I can sync between the desktop and iPhone versions without losing the desktop formatting. Color carries information, so you can enhance the meaning of data by including it.

Quote:
I think again, this would be nice, but I'm willing to sacrifice it as long as syncing doesn't strip it from the "official" desktop file.

Quote:
Personally, I'd be much less interested in an iPhone app if it was view-only. The whole purpose of the app for me is being able to work when I'm out and about and find myself with a small block of free time.

Quote:
I hope it will be able to sync just like OF syncs my desktop and iPhone files. It's odd to me that Apple won't let you sync directly via the USB cable, but maybe there's a good tech reason I just don't know. Until that happens, I hope I can synch over WiFi. That's been working well for me! The only thing better would be if I knew how to set it up so I could sync from anywhere (without using a me.com account).

Quote:
If you have any other specific expectations for the app, please let us know too. Thanks for your feedback and support!
I'm so happy with OO3's abilities I can't imagine what you'll do in OO4. I guess I'd love it if OO4's abilities get added to the app as well. If I do think of something missing in OO, I'll add it here too.

Thanks guys!

Keith

I now own several outliners and mindmappers for the iPhone.

Of these, CarbonFin Outliner is the best. It sinks to a website but there is no sync to the Mac. the others are basically junk.

If you could come up with OO on the mac AND have it sync with the Mac version, it would be a serious differentiator.

J.

1) I do not need multiple columns of data, column types, or the column summary options. Simple, basic, one-column outline functionality would suffice.

2) All I need is plain text, like OF for iphone. Don't need formatting support.

3) I do not need attachment support.

4) It needs to have editing capabilities, albeit simple ones. I would not mind the ability to view complex multi-column outlines synced with my desktop, but I think complex editing capabilities would be overreaching. Frankly, and with all due respect, I find the notion of a "fully functional version of OO for the iPhone complete with all the formatting and column options present in the full version" to be an absurd notion, and I think developing such an overly ambitious application would be a fool's errand.

5) Some means of syncing is important. Doesn't need to be overly fancy.

In summary, I am much more interested in a simple, basic, lightweight outliner with modest features that will arrive before I succumb to old age than I am in an ambitious version that would allow me to pretend that my iphone is a laptop. I have accepted that it is not. I just want to be able to outline on my phone. Now!

Multiple columns and column types are important. Summary options aren't important for me.

Formatting is not important for me -- just like OF for iPhone.

Not critical.

Editing is very important. I am using my iPhone much like I've used a laptop and I'm mobile -- need to add items, change items, delete items, move and re-order items. Don't need to add new columns or delete columns -- just put data in them and view the data in the columns.

Definitely need syncing, just like Omni Focus. Need to be able to access and edit and sync between my iMac, iPhone, MacBook and tablet when available -- mobile and virtual.

Quote:
I'd be happy with just one column. I rarely need more than one, and couldn't see it would be easy to use on the current iPhone screen

Quote:
Happy to use plain text on the iPhone for viewing editing etc, but would have to retain the formatting set on the computer.

Quote:
No, but again, wouldn't want it to loose anything that it has already had connected, and links should be preserved (ie to websites etc)

Quote:
No, it would have to have editing to be any use to me.

Quote:
Whole file sync... It could theoretically just work from a shared location / mobileme idisk etc for my use. This is different to omnifocus, but I wouldn't anticipate using the iPhone when I could use the computer for omnioutliner, whereas I use both simultaneously for OF.

Quote:
If you have any other specific expectations for the app, please let us know too. Thanks for your feedback and support!
No, I think you guys have a great sense of what people want.

cheers

Ben