The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Request: Less Obtrusive Quick Entry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I'm missing something, let me know; but it seems invoking the OF quick entry feature from within another app causes OF to come to the foreground. This is, in my opinion, distracting and undesirable. The "context" or "mental state" I was in is disrupted as OF marches to the fore, asserts itself, and demands my attention. So now I have to appease and dismiss the program before getting back to what I was previously engrossed in before being so rudely interrupted.

I'd like to request as a feature a less obtrusive means for making quick entries from other applications. If there's a way to do this already, someone please let me know.

-Steve

I'm not seeing this foregrounding behavior on my computer.

Adding things via Quicksilver might feel quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I'm not seeing this foregrounding behavior on my computer.
Really? That's interesting. I'm running 10.5.1 on a Mac Pro, and when I use the clipping Quick Entry, OF comes to the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Adding things via Quicksilver might feel quicker.
What's Quicksilver?

Quote:
when I use the clipping Quick Entry, OF comes to the front
I think that might be a bug. You should report it via "send feedback". It happened to me once today, but didn't repeat.

Quote:
What's Quicksilver?
a launcher and much more

the source:
http://www.blacktree.com/

one of many available intros:
http://www.43folders.com/2006/07/26/...ak-quicksilver

Quicksilver rocks! I love it. To chime in, I have never had OF activate on the Quick Entry.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
To chime in, I have never had OF activate on the Quick Entry.
Ok, I now realize I wasn't specific enough. I was referring to quick entry via the OF clipping service. I just tried plain old quick entry, and there was no activation of the OF app. If I use the clipping service from Safari or Mail, however, OF is activated. It's annoying, but perhaps there's no way around it?

We're still working through some challenges with windows in 10.5 coming to the foreground when they aren't expected to. (Translation: we're begging Apple to fix their bugs.) So maybe this is part of that bug. However, if anyone has seen this on 10.4, chime in, so we can look for other (more fixable) sources of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
We're still working through some challenges with windows in 10.5 coming to the foreground when they aren't expected to. (Translation: we're begging Apple to fix their bugs.) So maybe this is part of that bug. However, if anyone has seen this on 10.4, chime in, so we can look for other (more fixable) sources of the problem.
I'm not noticing this problem in 10.4.11.

I'm seeing this fairly frequently, but not every time. At this moment, pressing my Quick Entry hotkey (cmd-ctrl-opt-space) causes the OF window to appear no matter which application is active. At other times, it seems somewhat more likely to happen with non-Cocoa apps active (e.g., Quicken), but that's a very subjective impression.

It is certainly annoying and I hope you can get it fixed!

The Quick Entry window seems to be working fine for me on 10.5.1 except one situation: if I have OmniFocus hidden and invoke the Quick Entry window, the main application window will come to the front if I enter a Project or Context in the Quick Entry window. However, if I only enter an action name, the main app window correctly remains hidden.

Can anyone confirm this behavior on another system running 10.5.1?