The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reliability of Sync Services? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd been using my Palm and its conduits with Palm Desktop for years successfully; recently switched to Missing Sync 6.0 (to do OF-iCal-DateBk6) which has been a train wreck for me (and many others acc. to the Markspace Missing Sync for Palm forum) -- almost enough to switch to a HipsterPDA, but I've got to get a reliable mobile digital system going. I'm planning on retreating to Palm native conduits until notes are able to sync between the Mac and the iPhone (10.5 maybe?), then I'll spring for an iPhone.

One thing that crossed my mind is that I've been having intermittent problems synching my 3rd gen(?) click wheel 40GB iPod with my tiBook. iTunes locks up a lot. I'm wondering if there might be an underlying problem on my system with Sync Services. I've just started reading about the Truth database that Sync Services uses. Does the iPod uses that database for iTunes synching (I'm not syncing anything else to the iPod)? I just want to get my mobile devices working reliably. Perhaps my situation is not common, just checking. When you spend hours on this stuff over many days, it really hurts. Thanks.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-07-03 at 09:57 PM..

My assumption is if an application is using SyncServices, it is tied into everything that syncs with Mac.

I use many different applications that use SyncServices...
Missing Sync (which may have had it's problems, but compared to the support that Apple had for Palm, it was a godsend. The only way to sync with palm)
GroupCal - syncing exchange with address book & ical
iTunes
OmniFocus...

To reset the sync services...
open iSync
go into preferences
click on reset sync history

I have no idea if this will help with your problem... but it may be worth a shot.

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean
To reset the sync services...
Thanks for you tip and best wishes. I actually tried that before based on Mark/Space technical help, but it didn't help. I've retreated to Palm Desktop and Palm software synching which once again works like a charm. I'm going to have to use OF just on my laptop until the iPhone hopefully gets notes synching to the Mac (10.5?), then I'll go down that route and hopefully have my GTD round-tripped.

Bob

I have been using Missing Sync v5 for over a year (to go between my Treo and FirstClass- our group-ware software) and it has been rock solid.

v6 is brand new, so maybe that is were the problem is. See if you can run v5.

Now I have an iPhone, so I haven't been using my Palm.

Are you able to sync OF <--> iCal <--> iPhone (tasks in some manner)?

The initial Pogue report said no round trip for tasks and notes, but later I thought I saw that tasks can go round trip.

Bob

No tasks aren't supported on the iPhone yet. They will be soon however.