The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spaces support Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Despite Forrest's and my discussion, I haven't heard anything from anyone else on this. Is this a feature that just isn't desired? Should it be listed as a bug instead? (I could definitely argue that it is).

Just tried it myself - I was able to drag a new, second OmniWeb window into a different space than the one to which OmniWeb is assigned in system preferences (and which has my normal OmniWeb window, download window, activity window mix open).

Ha, a bit of further testing and I think I know why there is a discrepancy between Forrest's, my and your experience.

If you drag the second window to the edge of the screen and hold, to move the window into a new space, the first window stays in the original space. However, if you use the Spaces dock activated switcher to move the second window, it seems as though only it will move while you are in the switcher view but when you bring the full screen back, both windows have moved to the new space.

So the solution to your woes (for now) is to drag windows to the side of the screen (and hold) to move them between spaces, and not use the Spaces switcher.

Edit: note, when doing this, you have to drag the window in the direction of a screen edge that has a space 'alongside' it. In other words if you have a 2 by 2 grid as your Spaces set-up, you can't drag from grid 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 by holding the window over the right hand edge alone - it will only move to 2 then stop as there isn't a virtual space alongside 2 at its right hand edge - you have to then drag the window to the bottom screen edge to jump down to 4 and then to the left to reach 3, then to the top to get back to 1 (I hope this all makes some sense to people reading it!).

Bug in OmniWeb or in Spaces? Given the UI problems that Spaces has, I'd go for the latter...

Last edited by JKT; 2008-03-07 at 01:54 PM..

The only reason I might refute that it's a spaces bug is another Omni product (Outliner) doesn't have this problem. That's not to say that Spaces UI doesn't have issues :). And there are other products (Office 2008) that have problems with this too.

The drag and wait method works fine for me, but IMHO is a bit inconvenient.

It'd be interesting to know if saving a snapshot of your Workspace preserves which space a window opens in... any volunteers.

Btw, I was seem-joking wrt to the bug responsibility... given that Spaces is very flaky it would be difficult to know which is responsible unless you were involved with the app code. Even then I am not sure that would help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
It'd be interesting to know if saving a snapshot of your Workspace preserves which space a window opens in... any volunteers.
No, it doesn't.

I just found this thread because I was looking to see what Omni Group's plans are for Spaces in OmniWeb; I find it frustrating that every time I re-open OW I have to move all the windows related to my other-spaces tasks to the correct other spaces.

I hope that there are plans in place for OW to re-open windows in the space they belong in, and I also hope that it will be possible to have the download window either appear on all spaces, or to open on the current space rather than the last space it was opened on...