The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visio Import Substitutes Helvetica for MS Office Fonts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been attempting to import a Visio 2010 VSD into OG Pro. Although there are sometimes some subtle spacing issues overall it has been fairly successful.

However, what I've noticed is that OG has substituted my use of Calibri and Arial Narrow to Helvetica. Just plain old Helvetica... which means I then have to tweak and re-size every single shape on the diagram whenever I do this import.

(What I'm trying to do is work on a tabloid-sized diagram at work using Visio and at home using OG Pro, then back again. I lack a Windows PC + Visio licence at home... nor do I want one!)

The annoying thing is that I have Microsoft Office 2011 installed on my Mac... which provides standard Office fonts including... Calibri and Arial Narrow!

So, to recap... importing a Visio VSD leveraging Office fonts results in OG Pro substituting Helvetica, even though those same Office fonts are installed but are seemingly ignored.

Are there any settings either within OG or outside of it that I can tweak to remove this undesired font substitution? Otherwise the Visio import feature of Pro is useless to me if I have to spend a good chunk of an hour just fixing all of the font references each time I import the latest revision.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I have the same problem. Is there a solution to it?

thanks

I haven't heard of a solution yet... and this seems to be pretty low on Omni's radar.

Just did a follow-up test: created a Visio 10 document with network objects labelled with the following fonts: Arial, Arial Narrow, Calibri, Trebuchet MS, Garamond, Palatino Linotype, Tahoma, Times New Roman... all at various point sizes between 10 and 14.

The result? Once loaded into OmniGraffle they were all converted to Helvetica. At least it preserved the point sizes...

I also tried this for a Visio XML file format and Visio 2002 VSD. Made no difference.

I'm starting to see a pattern here.