The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Repetitive Mundane Tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Guys,

Something I want to find out , how do you guys deal with repetitive tasks with omnifocus / calendar ?

I have tasks which are repeated thrice a week

Take Office Backups M W F
Pay Parking Charges M F
Pick Veggies T T S

Do you create a repeating project ,define actions inside ?

Do you create repeating tasks ?

Put them straight in your calendar etc etc ?

Right now , I discovered repeating projects and trying to use , just want to know if there is a better way.

I do repeating actions, one for each different day, with start dates (to hide them from view until the appointed date) and due dates (to get them done that day). The actions repeat weekly. I usually put the name of the day in the action name in parentheses. If they are put in a group or project, making that grouping do parallel execution prevents failure to do one on time from blocking you from seeing the others at the right time.

Anything which is concrete and doesn't really change goes into iCal. Stuff like:
Trash Day
Kids vitamins
Feeding Times
Bill Payments
Etc...

Project and task timelines change quite often so I like to keep OF about fluid things and iCal about fixed things.

I use repeating actions in a couple of single-action lists. I've pared that list down as small as I can manage, so the actions have due dates but no start dates.

I don't mind seeing the next one pop up on my action list when I complete the current one, but if I had more of them, I'd probably use start dates to hide 'em until the time was right...

I have two projects

1) 'Daily tasks' which have to be done every day. The project is repeating so that i don't have to do it within each task.
2) 'Regular tasks' This project does not repeat, but items within it are set to repeat as often as required.

This is where I'd like to see more flexibility within OF for dates (already requested from the Ninjas) The ability to chose days in a week when tasks are completed like outlook allows (e.g. Every Monday and Thursday)

The other thing that would be useful (that I've not requested) is First (pick a day) of the month. e.g I have audits which I carry out the First Wednesday of the Month.

I could put these in my calendar (and they're still there at the moment) but why maintain two lists of actions when one is more efficient that typing things in as an action from the calendar as they pop up.

Last edited by GeoffAirey; 2010-11-05 at 05:44 AM..