The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem deleting attachments Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm in the habit of attaching emails to omnifocus with the clipping function from mail.app. It sends the whole message plus attachments. So now, my database is up to 24 megs.

I looked at the package contents of the database and found that 1 or 2 enormous pdfs (8 megs each) were in there. So I found the action they were attached to and deleted them (not marked complete, but deleted them). Quit, restart OF (v 1.5, btw) and the database is now... 24 megs.

Looked again at the package contents, and the pdfs are still there. But, the actions are gone when I open OF. So I have these orphaned attachments in the database and I don't know how to get rid of them. I don't want to delete them from the package contents for fear of screwing things up royally.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd suggest trying to rebuild the database (File -> Rebuild Database).
Let me know if it works. :)

Do you have syncing turned on, or have you in the past?

I've noticed a bug where if syncing is turned on and then turned back off, the database grows without bound. It looks like OF is saving transactions to be shared with remote clients that no longer exist. A work-around for me was to turn on Bonjour syncing with the database stored "on this Mac". My database size dropped from 12MB to 350KB immediately and has stayed there. I don't have any remote clients that attach to the database, but leaving sync turned on has kept the size down. (Bug reported last week by Help --> Send Feedback.)

Curt

Curt - I just double-checked - it looks like that bug has been filed, but I'm not sure if the QA folks have had a chance to work in it yet. Thanks for sending that in!

Jpbarr - if you do have syncing turned on, those transactions won't disappear from your database immediately. An hour after the delete transaction has been synced to all of your devices, those transactions will be eligible for compaction.

You'll see the disk space get reclaimed once the next compaction actually happens.

If you don't have syncing enabled, then it's possible that you're seeing the bug that Curt reported. If that's the case, the applescript mentioned in this forum post should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Do you have syncing turned on, or have you in the past?

I've noticed a bug where if syncing is turned on and then turned back off, the database grows without bound. It looks like OF is saving transactions to be shared with remote clients that no longer exist. A work-around for me was to turn on Bonjour syncing with the database stored "on this Mac". My database size dropped from 12MB to 350KB immediately and has stayed there. I don't have any remote clients that attach to the database, but leaving sync turned on has kept the size down. (Bug reported last week by Help --> Send Feedback.)
P.S. for those who are lost by curts suggestion, this is the procedure (curt will correct me if i'm wrong)

1) go to omnifocus preferences
2) select "sync" and check box "keep the sync database on this mac", then choose your password

Thanks for the help everyone.

Brian- I did recently turn on syncing (just bought OF for the iPhone), and I'm not sure how long I waited between deleting and checking the package, but I'm way too impatient for it to have been an hour. Unfortunately, I don't know if your solution is the right one, because after posting my message I backed up the database using the file>export command as a precaution, and I noticed that it was 6 megs instead of 24. I consider this to be great progress. I checked the package and the deleted pdfs were gone, so I restored from that backup and went happily on my way.

I'm still envious of all you people with your sub-megabyte databases, but I have 155 projects, most of which have at least one email clipped to it, along with files, etc, so I won't complain too much.

Thanks again

(PS Cheers to Omni for excellent implementations of both OF and OF iPhone.)