The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wait times Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sometimes, you need to wait before you can do anything else. For instance, when you pour concrete, you need to let it cure before you can do anything to it. When you have a surgery, you may have to wait awhile before you go running again. After you order something, you have to wait until you can perform dependencies which depend on having the something.

In the meantime, though, you may be doing other things.

The suggested work-around for this is to create a resource, call in "Time" or "No one" or whatever, set it to 24/7, and let it work.

The problem is if you have more than one thing waiting, "Time" will stack up tasks end-to-end, just the way tasks stack up with resources who are people.

Yes, you can create a new resource each time, but then you have to manually make sure that none of them will conflict. Creating a new one each time results in a profusion of them.

It seems to me that this is a legitimate special case. There should be an option to let a given resource overlap, or be designated as wait-time, or something similar.

Or am I missing another option?

Thanks!

-Speireag.

1) Make "Time" a material resource instead of a staff resource. Now leveling won't move its tasks end-to-end. For the power user, you might even have two such material resources: one for 24-hour time and the other for work time. Adjust their schedules accordingly, and now you can track things like concrete that can dry on Sundays too, and deliveries that will take "5 business days".

2) If there's a dependency, you can add "Lead Time" to the dependency. So find the finish->start dependency from Surgery to Go Running in the task dependency inspector and set the lead time to "3 weeks".

Thanks, Lizard! Just the ticket.

-Speireag.