The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shared Layers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This question may have been asked but I was unable to locate it.

How do I get a shared "layer" to display on every "page" within a single "canvas"?

In this case I have a canvas which contains a standard layer and a shared layer, the canvas happens to continue on to a second printed page. Right now I can't get the shared layer to show on anything but the first page. In otherwords it doesn't repeat on each printed page. It only shows on the first printed page.

Note: I know i can get the shared layer to display on other canvases, but I can't get it to display on canvases that have more than one printed page.

Please help, sorry if it's a repeat.

- Nick

A shared layer spans the entire canvas even if that canvas prints out to multiple pages, so if you want content to show on those extra pages, just make sure that it's showing on the other pages.

Right, I get that. But in v4 of OG, I was able to make the master template repeat on all pages, thus was able to add fixed headers and footers to every page.

What you are telling me is I need to make a layer that spans all pages of a single canvas and manually repeat that header and footer for every single canvas, thus making each "shared" layer no longer sharable due to some canvases having 1 page, 2 pages, and some with more.

I would need a new "shared" layer for each number of pages per canvas which, in my mind is just rediculuious and troubeling I am afraid.

Surly there is a better solution in OG5 that I am just not privy too yet, right?

- Nick

I'm not aware of being able to get master canvases to repeat on different pages of the same regular canvas in version 4 at all, in those cases one would have to duplicate the content exactly as has to be done with a shared layer.

If you have a document from version 4 that's proving me wrong, I'd like to take a look at it.

I am trying to think how this worked in OG4 for certain ... luckily I still have OG4 installed on this system.

Ok, I see your point. What happened in OG4 was that when your diagram extended beyond one page it would simply "clip" that information.. sorta showing it on a gray background indicating it won't be part of the printed page. So it limited the diagram to a single printed page.

I guess the new feature in OG5 makes it so I can have multiple pages per canvas which basically means this problem occurs. I know I can shrink it down to fit a page, but I really want it to tile to a 2nd page within the same canvas.

Should this be a feature request then? To allow shared layers the option to repeat per defined printed page?

- Nick

That's worth a feature request -- I was pretty certain that we already have something filed on this, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Consider this filed anew.

Awesome. Do I need to do anything to make it a formal request? Post in a special forum or anything?

- Nick

Sending feedback to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com would be the best route.

Sent! Thanks Joel! I love you guys! :P

- Nick