The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus Statistics Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,

Have an idea for a script but no idea how to write it. In a nutshell:

Call me crazy, but I have created a project for every one of the 67 Lominger competencies. This is the foundation for my approach to professional life. As an aside, if anyone else has experimented with this I would love to hear your results.

What I want is a script that would 1) count actions in each project and 2) export those statistics in a format that I could throw into OmniGraphSketcher or Numbers, etc. This way I could quickly and effectively analyze how I am demonstrating each of these competencies.

Any ideas? Does this sound like a dumb thing to do?

I'm not familiar with the Lominger competencies, but if you're willing to learn some Applescript, you could probably dig into the script in this thread and construct something that did what you're looking for. (For the export format, Tab-delimited text is probably going to be best.)

In other news, Rob T (the author of the script I linked to) is awesome. Meant to include that in the last post, but someone walked into my office and asked a question. :-)

If I didn't know that Brian was unfailingly generous and polite, I might suspect a hint of satire here :-)

(But as it is, thank you Brian. That is entirely undeserved and very kind :-)

Not quite sure whether you are planning to count tasks completed within a particular span of time, or just the absolute number of leaf tasks (actions rather than action groups) under each heading.

The stats script that Brian points you to uses SQL to query the cache. That approach is certainly fast, but might also give a slightly steeper learning curve at first. If you were going to do it with pure Applescript, the kernel of it might have this kind of shape:

Code:
tell application id "OFOC"
	tell default document
		set lstProj to {"summarize", "draft"}
		set strReport to ""
		repeat with oTerm in lstProj
			set strReport to strReport & oTerm & tab & ¬
				(count of (flattened tasks where name contains oTerm and it is not root task of its containing project and it is not in inbox and number of tasks = 0)) & ¬
				return
		end repeat
		display dialog strReport
	end tell
end tell

set the clipboard to strReport
  • lstProj could contain the list of project names that interest you,
  • and the list of conditions could be lengthened to narrow the count down to tasks completed within a particular period, etc.

Wow, thanks to both of you! I'll give your ideas / scripts a whirl and see what I come up with.

I'm always amazed at how cool these forums are :)