The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Assign a period of time to work on a task each day Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to assign a period of time to work on a task each day.

I'm trying to allocate resources for a project and would like to schedule some time each day to use a resource.

The idea is that if a have task that takes 5 hours and I work one 1 hour a day on the task, I could schedule the resource so that other project tasks will know the availability of the resource.

Is this possible.

Thanks,

Ben

This is a good question that hasn't had a reply, so I'm giving it a bump. I'd like to know if it's possible too.

I'm interested also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Greenfield
Is there a way to assign a period of time to work on a task each day.
Not exactly: resources have schedules, but tasks don't.

Quote:
I'm trying to allocate resources for a project and would like to schedule some time each day to use a resource.
One way of approaching this problem would be to split the resource into two resources, one which is available one hour a day and assigned to your five-hour task, and another which is available the rest of the time which you would use for your other project tasks.

I would like to see a "maximum hours devoted to task each day" feature.

Creating multiple "virtual resources" to handle this situation (what I understand Ken to be saying) would turn into a nightmare in my project. I've got 15 tasks in the project, with three staff resources handling those jobs over a period of months. Splitting those three staff into multiple staff resources as a workaround would throw off the entire timeline. Especially since some tasks require a staff resource's full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprewitt
I've got 15 tasks in the project, with three staff resources handling those jobs over a period of months. Splitting those three staff into multiple staff resources as a workaround would throw off the entire timeline. Especially since some tasks require a staff resource's full time.
While it might be considered a workaround, I've been setting the Assigned Amount for a resource assigned to a task to the level-of-effort being applied to the project by that resource.

So, if I want to commit a resource to "1 hour per day" on a particular task, I assign 12% (of an 8-hour day [approx]) of the resource to that task.

From my preliminary testing, that appears to level as I would expect.

YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansg
While it might be considered a workaround, I've been setting the Assigned Amount for a resource assigned to a task to the level-of-effort being applied to the project by that resource.

So, if I want to commit a resource to "1 hour per day" on a particular task, I assign 12% (of an 8-hour day [approx]) of the resource to that task.
Thanks, I have experimented with this too, and it seems to show promise of working well. Will need to research it further.