The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scripts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know this is a bit academic, but for those of us who don't know, could someone step through how to get started using scripts, and perhaps a good place to find some of the best ones? Maybe a top 10 list somewhere?

Thanks-

Well, no "top 10 list" but this is probably the best place to start looking:

OmniFocus Extras

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysjp View Post
I know this is a bit academic, but for those of us who don't know, could someone step through how to get started using scripts, and perhaps a good place to find some of the best ones? Maybe a top 10 list somewhere?
You can certainly add Omnifocus scripts without knowing what you are doing - I've done it :)

I do intend to learn AppleScript some day, and here is the book I intend to use: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Training.../dp/0321149319

Here's more about the author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal_Soghoian

- Don

Any help on what one needs to do to set up using them? Like, scripts for omnifocus 101?

At the most basic level, to run an AppleScript, just double-click it in the Finder like any other document.

Apple's Script Editor application will launch - it has a "Run Script" button in the toolbar; press that, and the script will run.

I'm guessing that most folks are going to be interested in the "Add an AppleScript to my OmniFocus toolbar and use it like a button" option, though.

To install any scripts you want to use this way, do the following:
  1. Create a folder named "OmniFocus" in the following location:
    <your home folder>/Library/Scripts/Applications/
  2. Drop the scripts you want to access frequently into this folder.
  3. Quit and restart OmniFocus.
  4. Once OmniFocus re-opens, select "Customize Toolbar..." from the View menu. A new sheet will slide out of the topmost OmniFocus window.
  5. Alongside the various buttons we've provided for your toolbar, you'll see the scripts you placed in the OmniFocus folder in step 2. Drag the ones you want up into the toolbar.
  6. Once you've got the scripts positioned as you'd prefer, press the Done button to close the sheet.

(As an aside, if you change a script's icon in the Finder, the updated icon will be displayed here, as well. This is useful if you have multiple scripts installed and want to tell them apart without needing to read the labels.)

Does any of that help? If not, feel free to ask more questions and we can try to lend a hand.

That's a GREAT help. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Off to scriptland.