The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

$20 for OF app in iPhone apps store Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am all for OmniFocus and have paid for every OmniApp over and over again. I agree that $19.99 is a little high for the iPhone application considering the rest of the prices.

That being said, it is a free market and my guess is that 85% of OmniFocus users who are iPhone/iTouch owners will pay in a second.

Personally, I am developing an application for the iPhone and am going to price it at $0.99 in the hopes it becomes a no brainer for any owners.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I understand there's new development, so it's reasonable to charge, but a discount for OF users would be nice.
There's no real way to do this, unfortunately - the App Store can't verify that OmniFocus license codes are valid to give you a discount, and we can't sell something on our store that you redeem on the app store to get the app at a lower price, either.

We considered a lot of ideas like this, but in the end, we just set the price as low as possible for all of our users.

As it is, OmniFocus for iPhone costs less than a single month of iPhone data service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Apple likely wouldn't approve that, as it would reduce their share of your application's sales. Apple wants to sell apps through the app store.
Good point. I had forgotten about Apple's cut. I like mhedstrom's suggestion of having a separate "companion" version for people who already have OmniFocus. That could sell for a reduced price and somehow require your original OF license code.

Seems like most responses are that it's about as high as it can be and people will still buy it. From a business prospective that means it's just about perfectly priced. I agree that $20 is a bit excessive, $10 is more reasonable, but I'm with everyone else here, I'll still be getting it. (Though if it were any more I'd go with a free/cheaper alternative even if it meant sacrificing functionality)

Ya no, I really tired of seeing things like this. Companies are in business to make money -- and invest money into even more / better products. As long as the organization does not lie or deceive you and deals in good faith, I WANT them to make money.

If a new product or feature costs too much, let the market decide. And if a competitor thinks they can do a better job at a lower price - fantastic, competition drives innovation.

Mark

guys... these guys work hard for a living, they should be compensated..
$20 = 10 cups of coffee (or less if you order something fancy) 1 pizza,
etc, etc.
please get real....

Get over yourself. I have MADE over $20+$80 from using OmniFocus (Granted, its the GTD method Im using, but still w/ omnifocus it makes it all that much easier. Now with OmniFocus iPhone version, I can deal with Errands better and add things on the fly when I think of them opposed to emailing them and adding them later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvahoos View Post
I like mhedstrom's suggestion of having a separate "companion" version for people who already have OmniFocus. That could sell for a reduced price and somehow require your original OF license code.
We considered that, as well. Problems include the fact that the App store can't validate OmniFocus for Mac license codes, so you end up with confused users who saw a lower price on the App Store for that version, didn't read, and then bought something they can't actually use. (Assuming the app does some 'send your license code to Omni' magic after you launch it.)

Customers in this situation can't 'cross-grade' to the proper version, 'cause the App Store can't support that AFAIK - so 'confused' quickly becomes irate, and now both we and Apple end up looking bad.

We kicked around a *ton* of ideas, but in the end, they all had complications, required stuff the App Store didn't support, or just ended up being difficult for customers to navigate.

In the end, we tried to just make the app as affordable as we could - it costs less than a single month of data service. And when I think about all the after-midnight iChats, emails, and commit messages that I've seen go by in the last couple of months, I don't feel like we're being jerks here.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for all the clarifications for those of us who are curious. I've already got it bought, I'm just waiting for the official 2.0 release now so I can install it. I'm very very psyched at not having to send myself random emails at night, and can just automatically insert todos into OF as I think of them.

I agree that they missed the mark big time with this pricing scheme. Look at a powerful app like Evernote. They are not charging anything for their iPhone app. Obviously if you can afford an iPhone you can afford $20 for OmniFocus. But that's missing the point. You should be weighing the price against the value you get from similar apps on the store. I'm really hoping that Anxiety comes out with an iPhone app that plays nice with OmniFocus. Because this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.