The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus slow, crashes, & loads - very poor usability [SOLVED: Email Attachments] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseibert View Post
As I initiated this thread I wanted to give an update on my situation. I am not using the iPhone-app ever since I wrote this thread.

The syncing simply does not work any more.

A lot of praise goes to the stunning support of OmniFocus-Ninjas, that tried to help me a lot. I did not invest enough time to say, that their tips did not help. So part of the problem is me. :-D

Unfortunately my OmniFocus-File has grown to 20 MB although have hardly 1.000 Tasks. No wonder the sync does not work. I am using 4 different Macs, that sync regularly.

Does anybody know how to reduce the file size?
Read my post here for details on how to figure out if you have some enormous attachments in your database that are causing it to swell to such size. Maybe someday a sufficiently motivated individual will write a script or OmniFocus will have some built-in means to show you embedded attachment size, but for now, that will do the trick. I made reference to 1.0 and 1.1, but as far as I've noticed there haven't been any changes to the file format which would affect the instructions.

I have to jump in here so others don't get the impression that syncing is a problem for everyone. After reading the many threads complaining of syncing problems, and the solutions offered to those suffering from the problems, I've found that most of the problems seem to have a common denominator, i.e., using OF on more than one computer.

I've also learned from those threads that daily synching each computer and the iPhone resolves most syncing deficiencies. I'll leave it to the more technically advanced and their threads to answer the why, but I simply sync my iMac, MacBook and iPhone within minutes of one another each night, and I have no problems the next day with syncing issues on any of the devices. And I have well over 100 projects and 2100+ tasks in my database.

If you're having problems, just keep reading the forum threads about this issue until you understand how not regularly syncing a computer on which you've used OF can lead to the dramatic syncing problems that many have experienced. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkendrick View Post
I have to jump in here so others don't get the impression that syncing is a problem for everyone.
Ahh, the voice of reason. Thank you, John. ;-)

-Dennis

Hi all,

thank you all for these replies. I will try hard to take my time to figure out how to reduce the size of my files with your linked posts.

Bye
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Of course, if it's easier, feel free to zip up your database and send it to the support ninja you've been working with. We can remove the attachments and then send you back a shrunk version of the database. (A couple other folks have run into this problem and this is what we've done for them.)
I do not need my attachments either. How do I zip my database to send it to you? Is a backup helpful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch5050 View Post
Now that that is completed, my IPhone OF still wont grab the file from the my ME server. Should I delete the OF software from my phone and the re-install it? What are some options here?
The best thing to do here is probably continue working with the support ninja that's been helping you - there are a couple steps we can use to figure out why your phone is having trouble contacting the server, but it's easier via email.

Quote:
I do not need my attachments either. How do I zip my database to send it to you? Is a backup helpful?
Just go ahead and right-click (or control-click, if you have a one-button mouse) the database in the finder, selecting "Compress OmniFocus.ofocus" from the menu that appears.

(Your database is in
<home folder>/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/)

Once that process completes, you can attach the zip file that is produced to an email and send it to the support ninjas. We'll take it from there.

Brian: Do you think it is a valid strategy just to wait for a future OmniFocus-version, that cleans and shrinks my database effectively? I have done everything your ninjas told me apart from:
  1. Deactivate all syncs and compact database. Then reactivate syncs again.
  2. Search all items for attachments and erase them. (That is way too much work for me right now.)

My question is:
Can I just wait for you to solve the problem and let me sync with the iPhone in the future? Or do you think, this will be a long way down the road?
Cheers
Martin

Quote:
My question is:
Can I just wait for you to solve the problem and let me sync with the iPhone in the future? Or do you think, this will be a long way down the road?
I know that the OmniFocus product manager and I very much want to get some features added to the Mac app that let folks manage this; I don't have specific information on when we'll be able to do that, though. We're in the bug-hunting phase on some other changes; I can't just say "we'll work on this on <some date>".

If you don't have time to remove the attachments yourself, we can do it for you. Zip up the database and send it to the ninjas; we'll send you back an attachment-less version ASAP.

Ultimately, I can help out and give you whatever info you need to make a decision on what to do, but it's not clear-cut; you'll have to make the call.

Hi all,

thank you Brian and all the others, that helped me to solve my problems here. I have an OmniFocus-file of 450 KB now and it syncs seamlessly with the iPhone.
My problem was, that Omnifocus attaches files from emails to your OmniFocus-File if you "clip" them from Mail.
That feature should be deacivated in my opinion, to prevent the Sync-Files to grow that big. At least I would like to have such an option. :-)

How did I solve it? I simply went through all of my tasks and kicked the attachments. As they are stored in my mails additionally, that was not a problem at all.

I still think, that 450 KB is way to high. I would like to be able to deactivate all the HTML-formatting in the item-texts to reduce that.

Again, thank you very much for helping me with that issue. The biggest problem was, that I did not invest enough time in that issue. I am sorry for that.

Bye, your OmniFocus-fan

Martin Seibert