The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner 4 and iPad (Updated 7/23/10) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
Sorry, Ken, but it's been over six months since my original post in the Forums Feedback forum about this on 2010-03-10, 12:54 PM. That's too long a wait.
I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding, and there's certainly no need for you to apologize! I hope you've seen my latest iPad or Bust status update?

As I said in that update, we've finished the basic work of being able to read and view and edit and save outlines (months ago, now)—but creating a great touch-based interface for text outlines is not an easy problem and we're still working through plenty of design issues (the latest being how best to simplify local hierarchical styles).

Some of these design issues aren't necessarily new to the iPad—the styles interface was certainly already quite confusing in OmniOutliner 3 for Mac! But we didn't want to carry over confusing concepts just because they were on the Mac; we think now is the best time for us to really rethink some of these problematic concepts, and the solutions we're finding are also helping us improve the upcoming Mac app.

I understand your anticipation: I've been wishing for an iPad version of OmniOutliner since long before I actually got my hands on an iPad. But it's our biggest design challenge to date, and I think it's important for us to take the time to get it right.

So as I've said in each of my iPad or Bust! posts, please don't rely on things happening exactly according to any particular snapshot of our plans. The reason we've shared our plans is not to suggest that anyone wait for any particular date; it's so that you'll have some insight into what we're doing and why, making it possible for you to decide whether we're going in a direction you're interested in.

In the meantime, enjoy OmniOutliner on your new MacBook Air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
In the meantime, enjoy OmniOutliner on your new MacBook Air!
Thanks. Despite its minor flaws, I believe the "Ultimate" version is the best laptop Apple has ever produced. It's a bit like a Porsche—really fast, though somewhat fragile. But the combination of enormous speed, beautiful screen, and perfect form factor make it really the "Ultimate." A pure joy to work on at all times (except in the dark, on account of the non-backlit keys, and lack of ambient light sensor for auto-screen brightness adjustment).

It is disappointing to hear that OO4 won't make it out the door before the end of the year.*However, I am glad that Omni is communicating this to us. I have for one been fairly vocal on the release of OO4 but hearing regular updates helps ease the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
It is disappointing to hear that OO4 won't make it out the door before the end of the year.*However, I am glad that Omni is communicating this to us. I have for one been fairly vocal on the release of OO4 but hearing regular updates helps ease the pain.
I agree, though another delay is a bit disappointing. I was waiting for OO for iPad this summer, as originally planned.
I don't mind having to wait for OO 4, version 3 is still largely adequate IMO. The iPad, however, really needs a good outliner, and for the time being it has none.
I'm waiting for Ken's promised new blog post, and keeping my finger crossed.

Quote:
Since OmniOutliner for iPad will require iOS 4.2, it won't be out until sometime after that ships. (Though hopefully not long after!)
OK, Apple satisfied the first part there, getting iOS 4.2 out. Any chance this means some good news for us iPad owners in the really near future?

I want OO for my iPad very, very much. I shelled out for OmniGraffle and OmniFocus right away, so I promise to support Omni's bottom line again ASAP once it ships!
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
OK, Apple satisfied the first part there, getting iOS 4.2 out. Any chance this means some good news for us iPad owners in the really near future?
I think you missed the Twitter announcement: it seems that OO for iPad won't make it for the end of the year...

I realise in posting these thoughts I'm really sticking my head over the parapet..

I feel strangely at odds with the idea of complaining over and over for months because something I really want cannot be yet be had. Especially when that something is not life saving or of similar proportions. What is wrong with us these days, I wonder...?

On a slightly different note and perhaps not entirely relevant to this topic; I have to say that every time any of my software or any of my apps for iPhone or iPad get free updates - that aren't bug fixes but actual new features - it always feels like a real gift to me. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the 'old days', when you bought something, you got THAT OBJECT that you bought and didn't expect to get free, improved versions of said objects for the rest of your life... Isn't it amazing and wonderful that we get free stuff now and then, from these hard working folk?

There is something odd in the computer-related world that invites us to insist on high speed everything in our lives... Stuff, stuff, stuff...When actually, all we really need as human beings is food, shelter, warmth, companionship... and perhaps, for some of us at least, a sense of the transpersonal dimension as well. But what's happening here, to my mind, is just self perpetuated, unnecessary suffering...

Just look at the months of foot-stomping in this thread...What are we doing with our lives?

Just a thought.....

Last edited by Fiona; 2010-12-03 at 03:33 AM..

I'm with Fiona 100%.

Amen, Fiona!

Thanks for the great reminder that life is not about instant gratification.

Writing a major piece of software like OmniOutliner isn't like microwaving your dinner. OmniGroup doesn't make those little iphone apps you play with for fifteen minutes and then forget about. They make software that many of us are going to use productively nearly every day for the next decade or more. Creating that kind of quality software takes a huge amount of time, money, brains, and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh19 View Post
Amen, Fiona!

Thanks for the great reminder that life is not about instant gratification.
no danger of that with omnioutliner 4